Chapter 3 - Devil Gate Drive
Loads has been happening, so on with the pics...

The unit here is the speed controller box with the uprated 4QDs fitted. We found during tests that we had a heating problem, so we have fitted some aluminium plates against the FET heatsinks and a cooling fan at the open end of the box to blow cool air over the components. The fan uses very little power but is quite powerful in the air movement. This unit is now complete apart from final wiring. The radio control servos (not shown) have also been completed and tested to satisfaction. This will all be mounted once we have a clear idea exactly where the weapons will sit.

This is a good action shot of Chris grinding down the welds on the sub-frame. We have to be able to adjust the positions of the bearing units, so these welds have to be flat. He also ground some of the other welds to make things look a bit neater. It has to be said that our welding is not pretty, but it does the job okay!
The piece here is one of a pair made for us by Hartford Engineering in Cheshire. These will form the connection between the wheels and the secondary drive sprockets. They were really well made, with the center bore nicely finished to 15mm to fit the axle snuggly. The lip on top is designed to fit in the axle hole of the go-kart wheel hubs. The wheels have been built and inflated and we found we had a puncture in one of the inner tubes, so it's been out with the rubber solution!
This is the front sub-frame with the motors fitted and connected to the primary belt drives. These are larger than last year and then feed on to the secondary chain drive which powers the wheels. Tensioners are being fitted to the bearing houses to allow the belts to be well tightened. During the tests using the old Panda chassis, we found that one of the belts tended to leap because we hadn't tightened it properly. Some people don't agree with using belts, but I like them because they are straightforward and work for us.

Another action shot. This is the wheel assembly built and in place. Note the large drive sprocket on the secondary system. This uses 1/2 inch chain. We will fit the chain next - it's sat in a box currently. The motor mounts need to be welded on, plus a thin MDF baseboard and then we will be ready for some inital chassis runs. Never know, you may even get some video of it! I know that a lot of the metal may need boring to get the weight down, but at the moment it's really not too bad at all. Can't wait to get the thing running now.