Team Oh, It Broke Build Logs

Discuss your 1.4kg monsters here

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Tufty

Team Oh, It Broke Build Logs

Post by Tufty »

As mentioned in the "how big is your beetle" thread a few months ago, I'm dipping a toe in the beetle-infested waters soon. For now I'm going to try to build a simple invertible wedge out of a couple of RC cars and as much metal as I can get into the weight limit. I'm fully aware I'm not going to win any competitions with them, but it would be nice to have something to sacrifice while I probe you all with inane questions while your machines' guts are exposed!
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
Tufty

Re: Team Oh, It Broke Build Logs

Post by Tufty »

Shattered a few drill bits, but I've got side armour build now. Need to get the ramps built so I can fit it all together, but a little research into the type of armour I need has to be done first.
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Shattered drilling what material? I find nice and slow with a bit of oil usually helps in metal. I've snapped drill bits in HDPE but that usually comes with any of the following: the result of a jaunty angle, bad holding of the drill or bending whilst drilling.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

It was purely my own impatience, and they were 1-2mm drill bits so not especially strong to start with. Only drilling aluminium, presumably with a bit too much force.
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

First major mistake, I ordered some brackets to bolt the various panels together. They arrived today. Where I was expecting reinforced L-brackets of about 3cm on each side, they're nearer 3 inches each side. One bracket weighs over 300 grams! Looks like I'll be building some shelves in the near future. Meanwhile a fresh batch of more appropriately sized brackets are on their way, and I've cut out the aluminium bodywork. Waiting on titanium now to reinforce the wedge.
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Ended up changing plans somewhat: a pair of Nikko Nanotrax cars turned into wedges with titanium armour all around and plastic on top for weight reasons. Just need to add the safety link to the electrics and I'll have a clusterbot. Sadly with COVID I'm not sure competitions are letting more than one person per team compete at the moment, so I'm also working on converting a Tumblebee in a similar sort of way. Not absolutely sure about the armour specs there yet though.
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Using half a dozen the new BBB thicker antweight wheels with associated N20s for a basic drivetrain, just to see how far I can get with an electrical system that I'm already familiar with with the extra weight, stronger armour etc. Should be plenty of weight left over for a titanium wedge for now, hopefully with scope to add an active weapon in time. Once materials are here and I've got something assembled, pictures will be added.
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Well, the demo model went well. Plugged the wrong wire into the rx by mistake... My living room doesn't smell great now! Spare rx worked fine, but 2s isn't enough power to run 6 motors. Will test it as 4wd soon.