ESC with built-in receiver - interesting?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MarkR

Re: ESC with built-in receiver - interesting?

Post by MarkR »

minionhunter wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:37 pm What do people do if they have 6WD? Like real 6WD with 6 motors. I'm mean for the speed controller and I'm thinking about that white 6WD bot at AWS 49 that could go from driving in Super slow-mo to lightning quick instantly. Could you do that with yours or will it pull too many amps to have 3 N20 or 3 N10 motors on one channel? Is there a way to do that in an esc like this?
I don't think anyone uses 6 motors for Antweight, there are a few 6-wheelers (bee-bot?) and also "Axe of 8 wheels" and I think they all use some gears or linkeage so they can drive all the wheels on one side with a single motor.

Having 6xN20 motors would be a serious weight penalty, they weigh > 10 grams each.

Most N20 motors will stall at <0.7 amps on a 2S pack. You can of course get more power by running on a 3S pack or using a voltage boost device, but then run a risk of breaking the gearboxes (too much torque), or if stalled, overheating them. I'm running an over-volted N20 as a weapon motor on Betsie at about 14 volts, it wears the gearboxes quickly.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

A minor status update, the current prototype is now close to the final form factor, I've made a few (minor) cock-ups in this design, but it was not final anyway. These will be fixed in the next respin.

It looks like it will probably work and drive 1.8 amps per channel, I need to do a lot more testing, I've not tried it with any other transmitters yet.

https://marksverbiage.blogspot.com/2020 ... speed.html

Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
TimPerry

Post by TimPerry »

This looks awesome. Currently use 2 endbots DESC for Villanelle and miniroll but at £40+ each I'd love a cheaper option!
Villanelle (Vert)
Dozer (pushbot)
Flippinbot (flipper)
Mini Roll (drum spinner)
Wedgie Wedgie (cluster)
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

MarkR wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:37 pm A minor status update, the current prototype is now close to the final form factor, I've made a few (minor) cock-ups in this design, but it was not final anyway. These will be fixed in the next respin.

It looks like it will probably work and drive 1.8 amps per channel, I need to do a lot more testing, I've not tried it with any other transmitters yet.

https://marksverbiage.blogspot.com/2020 ... speed.html

I can't believe all you have packed into that Mark! It looks really amazing. It will make my rx purchases obsolete (as long as it can do the cheap flysky tx) buy I'm all ogling it right now.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I have no idea when/if it will get into production.

I am currently stuck at home, like everyone else. I'm tweaking the firmware. That is quite interesting, I have learnt how to write avr assembly language :)

I hope the Antweight robot scene will restart when it is possible!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Glad to hear I am not the only one using AVR assembler.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

If you look carefully in the photograph, you can see the bodge wire. It is 3mm long. Oops :)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Further to recent updates, I've made a video:

https://youtu.be/dvAsTS2t9jo

I've got it to do telemetry. It gives the battery voltage and microcontroller temperature right now.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Ok, I've assembled the latest prototype.

It doesn't work. I don't know why. Making fine-pitch SMD without the right equipment is tricky (I have only basic stuff compared to the hackspace).

This time I don't think there is a design fault, just cack-handed assembly.

Render
The real world.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

you can probably see better than me, but in your pic it looks like pins 7 and 8 on both R and L look like they are connected...

im just guessing that you have probably already looked into that though, but just in case...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)