How Big is your Beetle?

Discuss your 1.4kg monsters here

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EddieJ

How Big is your Beetle?

Post by EddieJ »

Research purposes ! :D

Having only seen under a handful of Beetles in the flesh - it would be great to judge if a design is going to come in hugely under or over sized!
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
Ocracoke

Re: How Big is your Beetle?

Post by Ocracoke »

My two Beetleweights measure as follows:

The Honey Badger 4.0: 35cm length x 22cm width x 12.5cm height
Shu! 2.0: 26cm length x 31cm width x 29cm height (noting this is when the lifting arm is in its tallest position.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

Thanks! Leads me to believe I was designing things a bit too small :?
Bots:
DisinfectANT (Antweight), Cilit BANG (WIP Antweight), Kinetic Disassembly (WIP Antweight)
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

EddieJ wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:52 am Thanks! Leads me to believe I was designing things a bit too small :?
Total noob here (and first post, woop!) but depending how much smaller you were thinking, is that necessarily a bad thing? You become a smaller target, probably more agile simply for having wheels closer together, and less weight wasted?

I'm looking at a conversion of an RC car to start in Beetleweights (fully aware it'll be sacrificial :lol: ) and my biggest worry is that it's about the same size as referenced above - meaning it's weaker, by dint of being a toy, AND doesn't have the advantage of a smaller bot.

All that said, by no means take my advice as being from someone who knows what he's doing!
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
EddieJ

Post by EddieJ »

I think you are right, it is good to keep things compact and "dense". But for some bots like grabbers or crushers, making sure you are sized right is pretty important :P

Definitely get your RC car converted to tank steering for a beetle conversion! Or turning around after hitting a wall will be like this :lol:
Bots:
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

It's already got tank steering, or I wouldn't even consider using it. I'm going to swap out the ESC and transmitter though so I can add a weapon in the future, and might end up replacing the motors too (purely for the sake of making the robot invertible; right now the motor housing JUST stands on a level with the top of the tracks, and that's a bit of an issue when armour is added!).

By odd luck I've come across two partial scooters abandoned near a friend's house, one with the handlebars missing and one, oddly, actually cut at an angle along the footplate. Brought them home, cleaned them up, and presto! Free armour! Plus the two wheels I now have could be adapted into a pair of brutally heavy spinners, although I think the bearings in at least one are destroyed.
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue