AWS55 - 30th June 2018 - Dunchurch Village Hall

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MarkR

Re: AWS55 - 30th June 2018 - Dunchurch Village Hall

Post by MarkR »

Great job Chris and others - the event was very slick, I'm impressed how well it ran. There were a lot of battles to get through.

It was my first time and my robot wasn't very good (she won more than I expected actually) but it was still fun. Also the melee was a good laugh.

We saw some incredible battles, there was an epic spinner-on-spinner right near the end (I think it might have been Valkyrie vs Test Robot Please Ignore) which was very closely matched and very violent!
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Well done Alex for (yet another!) win :)
I have the results from Chris but they won't be on AntLog until later in the week. I'm away from home currently and uploading results is not something I want to do on my phone and dodgy WiFi :D
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

Yesterday in a few numbers:
  • 98 robots
  • 44 teams
  • 194 battles
  • 2 damaged lipos
  • At least 2 Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly events
  • 63GB of video footage
  • One very tired Chris
Gary - thanks for acknowledging the results file - Shakey fought hard for the win - nobody made it an easy ride through for him!

One of the Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly events (as captured by the arena camera): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ZzLf-gpdA

I will be looking at putting in a booking for June 29th 2019 for an event at Dunchurch again. I feel it worked well as a central venue for all of us and the general feedback I received was positive, both from yourselves, the teams, and the venue trustees. Whether it is an AWS we will have the discussion about later in the year.

I would ask that whatever feedback you have - positive, negative, whatever, post it here, PM me, email me on chris (at) arc-robotics.org.uk or message me on Facebook and I will get it added to my The Good/The Bad/The Ugly list.
MichaelG92

Post by MichaelG92 »

I had a great time yesterday, even though I wasn't competing! It was nice to talk to some of the roboteers and I've really been bitten by the bug and can't wait to build my own and compete in Bristol in October! Thank you Chris and all for organising such a great event.

I caught some of the fights on video, I'll probably post them into the Antweight Combat Robots group on Facebook.

See you at AWS 56!
Michael - Team MG Robotics

Fledgling Surrey based roboteering team

Antweights:

MicroNewton - flipper
ArmamAnt! - pusher
GFB - flipper (under construction)
Fight or Flight - flipper (under construction)
Smillard

Post by Smillard »

Great event, well organised and the venue was spot on.

Thanks to everyone involved. Looking forward to the next event
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Thanks for such a great event - we really enjoyed ourselves! It was all a bit of a blur for me, so it'll be good to see the videos. :)

I wanted to make a donation toward the costs, but forgot to get cash in the morning panic. Is there a way of donating via PayPal or something?
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

voorsk, I'll drop you a PM.
Zanbots

Post by Zanbots »

Thanks to Chris. ARC Robotics. All volunteers.

Had a great time out yesterday. I got to see what my new robot can do and see a lot of everyone else's. Got a real rush out of it.

Hope I can get back out for AWS 56.
Jeremy Hall
Ants; 24601
Oh, Baby!
B-Bot
Valjean
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Thanks to Chris for another top notch event :). Well done to Shakey for winning and to the podium finishers (back to the old format; Shakey, Andy H and Scott in some form :P)

I owe an apology to anyone that witnessed by tantrums/stress/general upset behaviour (Greg from Team Zero in particular); my robots grossly underperformed and my driving was worse than usual, not to mention a frustrating technical fault with Baby Hell.

I’ll be back. With what I dunno yet. But I’ll see you all at the next one :).
DieGracefullyRobotics

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

And I finally got home last night, hooray!

Well done Chris, great venue, good arena, great set-up. Arena floor problems are always going to surface with that amount of fighting but apart from that I can't think of a single criticism. Would love you to host again.

And well done everyone too! Great event, friendly, fun. Loved seeing you all, old friends and new. I hope you're all very proud of yourselves, brilliant bit of community. Pats on backs all round. Wonderful array of robots, new teams, impressive fighting from all comers. I'm almost glad we didn't do awards as they would have been so hard to decide! And anyone involved in one of the judges decision battles, well done. We didn't have an easy decision all day so even if you lost one, be proud.

Congrats, Shakey! That's the most deserved AWS win I've seen in years. So impressive. Honorable mentions for Valkyrie, Manta Ray and Yin and Yang for their high placings too.

My highlights: Test Robot, Please Ignore vs A Little Bit of Fail was one for the ages. About as epic an ant fight as we've had in the UK. And poor old Peter being immobilised by his own cluster partner.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.