AWS56 - Bristol

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Paulmchurd

Re: AWS56 - Bristol

Post by Paulmchurd »

I don't see an issue with too many events. The more the merrier. As long as they are 1 month apart to give people building time.

One event first weekend of september. Then the next end of November.
StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Would it make sense to run the event and allow the competitors to choose whether they want to participate?
DieGracefullyRobotics

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

As I said, the issue isn't "more events", the issues start when you refer to every event as an official AWS tournament. People are free to run their own events in any time, location, way that they want to. The Bristol Uni guys run them very regularly, for example. But the AWS is a different thing.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

DieGracefullyRobotics wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:13 am the issues start when you refer to every event as an official AWS tournament
That's exactly it. The AWS has always been it's own event, independent of any others, run in way which prioritises full combat for roboteers over anything else.

Other events can be and are run which mix up the format in whichever way the organiser wants. Notable examples are Ant Freeze (known for excellent full combat but then other unique games such as nuts and long gladiators) and the Oxford Games (which was an entirely unique event with a fantastic format). Non AWS events are almost always as packed as a full AWS now and always great events to go to.

I can see loads of great new ideas are going into the Dorset Robot Championships (new arena which is unlike anything described in the AWS ruleset, spectators and newcomers highly encouraged etc) and that's fantastic. I honestly believe that event is best left to flourish on it's own merits rather than imposing a full combat, highly competitive AWS on it. The atmosphere is very different in an AWS to some of the less formal competitions such as Ant Freeze and the Antweight Open and I think the more informal atmosphere would be a far better fit for the Dorset Robot Championships.
DieGracefullyRobotics

Okie-dokie, so I've spoken to the lovely Mr Weston. He said he only volunteered initially because nobody else did and is quite happy for us to do it instead. He also said the reason he suggested 4 AWSs this year is because there were apparently only 2 last year (again due to a lack of volunteers and organisation) so the extra one was to make up the numbers, not to increase to 4 a year in general, and to keep us on track for having an event around the 20 year anniversary of the AWS which I believe is next year.
So, bar any more objections, we'll take it. Joe and Craig are keen to go ahead. We'll get together for a group natter and sort out possible dates where we can all be free and secure a venue and then we'll get back to y'all. Hopefully we'll be able to give everyone plenty of time to arrange themselves. I have to get myself over from Northern Ireland every time I want to go to an event so I need as much advance as possible anyway. And we'll try use our team influence elsewhere to get a few more people coming out, see if we can get a big event to end the year on.
In the meantime, go post in the June AWS thread, get that one as the hot topic again as that's the important one right now! Ha.
Dave
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

Go for it - if it's a weekend I can be there, I will be.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

All sounds great. :D
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

While I agree it is better to keep the AWS as a separate event can I suggest you choose a date not too close to the Dorset Meet 23/24 Nov so they can still have a good turnout. Also glad to see you coming back to Antweights Dave.
DieGracefullyRobotics

Thanks Pete, looking forward to seeing you again.

Yes, we will keep clear of the Dorset competition. I hope that it's going to be a great success for the club and we want people to go to both.
Dave
Zaran

Post by Zaran »

Pretty much all of the Bristol Bot group are up for this, pending dates ect!

(Not that I am giving Joe a choice here...)
Chris - "Team" Random Unplanned Disassembly
Just Read the Instructions - 150g Flipper