Dominance of pushers at AWS46

A discussion forum for proposed changes to the AWS rules (2014)

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Forum rules
* Only one rule per thread. Any deviation will be moved by the moderators.
* Keep the discussions on-topic, relevant and polite. Anything else WILL be removed by the moderators.
* If you start a new thread (to discuss a different rule) quote the existing rule in the first post so everyone knows what you're talking about.
* The existing rules (version 4.2) can be found here: http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm
Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Dominance of pushers at AWS46

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I agree with that. Central pit a good idea? Or three enclosed walls and one side drop off? Then if the numbers become too large the organisers can limit people to 3 instead of 4 (with advanced warning) which would speed up an event without compromising an arena.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
suvv

Post by suvv »

what about having active walls that drop away as the fights progress so that at the start there is no push out section but after say 90 seconds the first bit goes then more untill in the last bit of the fight there are little to no walls
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

The beetle tournament in Dave W's arena at the last event had a pit and one low wall, where the pit was lowered after one minute. I greatly enjoyed this format, as it felt very nicely balanced, however it would drag fights out a fair bit. And I'm still hoping to construct an arena for the next AWS, so I'll be interested to see the outcome of this debate.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

Complex arena ideas are all well and good. Getting someone to construct them is another matter. Don't forget, if this is to be used in an official AWS, it has to be flawless. If it has a lowering pit or walls that fall away after a minute or whatever, then they have to do that EVERY fight without failing, or someone could call favouritism. That's the difficulty. Me and Hib threw around arena ideas at the AWS but then, as he said, "but that's really hard to make!"
Having said that an arena with a pit release button like on robot wars would be nice. Then its a drivers choice whether it comes into play or not, and thus a new tactical play. Doesn't have to be active, just a target or something. But then plenty of people were knocked out of robot wars just because they were unaware the pit was about to lower.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

My issue with arenas that change over the course of a fight is the risk of causing situations whereby one robot feels it is most beneficial to run away/fight very defensively until the arena has changed to suit it. For example, a pusher that feels that it needs to just run away from a spinner for a minute in order to have a chance of winning. That's no fun for either party. I prefer arenas changing through robot interaction - for example a pit release button - but any kind of change like this makes things more complicated for the arena's builder.

However, as I've said, I'm all for experimentation. If someone wants to run an AWS in an arena with a timed pit, or a button pit, or a central pit, or on the back of a giant turtle while it rampages around the hall eating lettuce, I'm happy to give it a try.

Edit: Dave beat me to it.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Remote-Controlled Dave

*commissions turtle arena*
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Tell you what; If I get the time, I'll make mine with a lowering pit and perhaps one low wall, as having tried that layout before I think it works rather nicely. It should be perfectly possible to make a pit mechanism that works 300 or so times in a day without a fault. If it doesn't work satisfactorily, then I'll just remove the lowering mechanism and we'll have a standard drop off. My AWS is likely to be a bit of an odd one anyway due to it's some what rustic location and extended time limit, so might as well give some new arena designs a go just so we get some sort of answer to these debates :P
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

A mad AWS? Yes please!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

YYAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!
Surely a mad AWS favours mad bots(not fanbots)
***sketches up crazy next design***
Last edited by Occashokka on Mon May 11, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Extended time limit, eh? I look forward to elaboration. And further madness.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk