Re: Earthwormjim's Stuff

Post by earthwormjim »

Hi Joey!
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Right!!!
I am stuck,and have been for AGES!!
I need some 0.5mm Ti. If anyone has any,I will do anything they want for some. ANYTHING!!!!!!
I have promised myself,and the ball and chain,that I will only do one thing at a time,so I cant move on until Fantom 2 is complete.
So far it looks like this...

But,somehow,I dont think that the cardboard scoop will last very long in the arena!!!!!!!!
I need some Ti!!
Anyone know where to get some?? I cannot find any ANYWHERE,unless it is for a sheet,250mm x 250mm,for £100!!!
Ciao, Jimbo. XXX
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have a piece of 0.34 mm thick Ti I got from Slovakia but it seems very soft which is why I haven't used it. :oops:
I seem to remember it was pure Ti not one of the harder alloys but I am not sure.
It just over 210mm x 225mm would be good for bending to shape if you know of a way to harden it after.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

If its less than £100,I'll take it!
(LOL! )
I will certainly take it off your hands,and give it a go,Peter,let me know how much you want for it,and I can paypal you? If you like?
Cheers,Jim.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

PM me your address and I will send it to you and you can try it out.
If it is any use you can have it for what I paid which I seem to remember was about £10.
If you find a way to harden it let me know I have another bit I have been wanting to use.
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

We did some labs at university on material treatments. Proper heat treatment of titanium is most likely a bit beyond your average person although if you're interested I'm pretty sure we have the heat treatment handbook floating around the library somewhere.

Should be able to work harden it easily enough though.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

Thanks Peter.Will do!
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

daliad100 wrote:We did some labs at university on material treatments. Proper heat treatment of titanium is most likely a bit beyond your average person although if you're interested I'm pretty sure we have the heat treatment handbook floating around the library somewhere.

Should be able to work harden it easily enough though.
Thanks. I have been looking into this a little,and it does sound tricky. Especially if it is pure Ti. Anyone have any ideas??

"Many titanium alloys are age-hardened along the same lines as, say 6061 aluminum. You heat it above a certain temperature to put alloying elements into solution in the metal. (It's not molten; it's called a solid solution.) This is called solution treating. Then you quench to freeze the solution in place. Unlike carbon steel, the quenched titanium alloy is now soft. Next, you re-heat at a lower temperature for a controlled time to let some of the dissolved constituents precipitate out. This hardens the metal, and is called age hardening. The strength increases with time and temperature, peaks, then begins to fall off, until you finally reach the annealed state, and the alloy is soft again. The reason it is called age-hardening is that some alloys, like 2024 aluminum, will actually harden with age at room temperature. It just takes a long time. Most of the time, you will want to help the ageing process with heat. Books like _ASM Metals Handbook_ tell you times, temepratures, etc., for a given alloy. It won't work with all alloys or commercially pure titatnium. Beware that heat treating titanium ought to be done in a controlled-atmosphere or salt pot furnace to avoid certain issues like embrittlement from contact with air at temperature. "
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

I'm going to the library tomorrow so I'll grab some scans/pictures of the book.

You're looking at temperatures of the order of 1000+°C without using a direct flame (makes titanium carbide, hard but brittle) so induction heating might be an idea to get it up to initial temperature. The ageing bit requires holding it at a lower temperature for a few hours so either a big enough induction coil to fit around the entire work piece and some bricks to insulate it or a proper furnace will be needed for that bit.

With any luck you may be able to diffuse another metal into the titanium (kind of like brazing or soldering) then age it for the desired properties
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

Assuming I've got the right email address, you've got mail.

Extrapolating from the data about other titanium's and what the book says the gist of it is:
830-915C for maximum 1h (likely below 30 mins due to being thin material) for the solution treatment.
Water quench.
Age at 480-595C for 4ish hours.
Quench again.