Sabertooths

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: Sabertooths

Post by Shakey »

I use a sabertooth with heat sinks removed running 4 polulu HP motors on 11.1V. I have had it at my school going for 30minutes straight before and though the sabertooth got warm it never failed.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

GAAH! Guess what just stopped working? My Dual 25A Sabertooth now shuts down after a few seconds of running!!! I'm not buying another sabertooth for a while, I'll say that much.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

Got a dual 25A aswell which I hve yet to use. Some ppl seem to have them working very well on 2 motors but when running 4 motors they seem to suffer even tho they probably manage the current as they would shut of due to over current protection.
Could there be any benefit of using capacitors on the motors to make them more "kind" to the esc by any means?
Team DD
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Very small value capacitors may help with suppression although that seems uneccessary with modern 2.4 GHz systems.
But the last thing you want to do is add large capacitors.
Remember these speed controllers rapidly switch the voltage to the motors so any appreciable increase in capacity is likely to slow down the switching edges and there by increase the power disipated in the driver output FETs exactly what you don't want to do.
Gizz

Post by Gizz »

Yeah I've heard about not needing capacitors with 2,4Ghz systems which is great as its one less thing to keeping in mind.
Was just wondering if there were any easy modifications to in some way reduce the chance motors do damage to an ESC?
Team DD