L.W.S Robotics build diarys

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

tweedermeister

Re: L.W.S Robotics build diarys

Post by tweedermeister »

I now have a dilema, I was awake last night and was thinking Why has no one made an antweight with a lightning style flipper ? the dilema is whether I should rebuild anarchist into a lightning style flipper or rebuild it as a spinner.
PLEASE HELP :-?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Do not base any robots on that design it was worse than useless (at flipping anyway) :)
Ideally, you need a flipping arm that sits flush to a scoop or the entire front of a robot that lifts "sideways". Also, don't trust any information on that website it's horribly out of date. :-?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

been a very long time since i've updated here, buying some parts for my spinner soon from haz and anarchist has been retired because it was useless and it will now hopefully have a scoop that resembles that of ripper evo ( going to use a heat bar to get a nice scoop ) and actually be able to flip something without snapping its own baseplate, if that doesn't work i'm thinking of making a front hinged flipper as there doesn't seem to be many of those around.
earthwormjim

Post by earthwormjim »

I have been toying with the idea of a front flipper.It can be very effective
The inimitable,AWS winning, "Jigsaw5" springs to mind,created by the even more inimitabe Joey. :)
( I have no idea what inimitable means,but it sounds good. :wink: )
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

It means 'can not be imitated', which given that having one of me around is bad enough for everyone I know is probably a very good thing XD

Jigsaw V (and indeed IV) are/were front hinged flippers mainly as a personal preference than out of effectiveness - a conventional rear hinged flipper would probably be more effective within the design, Jigsaw's AWS win had more to do with luck! - but using what works well can be boring and I'd always wanted to do a front hinge flipper as both a homage to one of my favourite Robot Wars machines and teams (Cassius) and to try and make at least one of my outlandish fantasy ideas come to life. I've actually been told by a few people (Jim yourself and the Death Adder guys with their awesome organic looking front hinge design) that Jigsaw's inspired them which is more than I could ever have hoped for when throwing it together :)

They do require a bit more designing than rear hinge flippers though as the flipper can't really be attached solely to the servo arm, and ideally you need the front edge to be separate from the flipper arm otherwise it does odd things to your movement. I'd like to see more front hinged flippers around though, hehe!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I am looking at trying for a front hinged version of Flippant.
On the occasions that I do get a good flip most of the energy is expended in the vertical direction and the robot does travel far horizontally.
Unfortunatley getting the flippant mechanism in a front hinged unit looks more difficult.
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

got the parts on the way for anarchists spinner conversion, waiting on the motor to arrive, the lipo, charger, hdpe and blades ( thanks haz ) to arrive then its only a matter of overcoming my laziness and getting it built and ready to break stuff ( mainly coke cans )
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

Been a long time since I updated here so:
bots so far: minor tom: FW,partly built but won't be ready for maidstone for monetary reasons.
masochist:AW, working rear hinged flipper but is being rebuilt soon.
Valefor:AW, rear hinged flipper hopefully being finished Wednesday,it has 3mm ABS armour, 10mm HDPE sides.
A video of Valefor without side armour and without self righting aids and larger battery that I'm adding on Wednesday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPQeob7m ... ture=g-upl
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Things are looking good!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39