Rule 2o: Clusterbot weight limits

A discussion forum for proposed changes to the AWS rules

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Rule 2o: Clusterbot weight limits

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Rather than stir up my usual controversay at the event, I thought I'd ask this on here well in advance of the AWS, just to make sure I don't annoy anyone.

One of my ideas for the AWS is to do a clusterbot made out of one of my little walking bugs and then a bigger roller. So, how does the weight advantage work for a part roller/part walker clusterbot?

The walker weighs in at 34g. So how much can the roller weigh? Can the weight advantage only be applied to the walker side of the cluster (up to 112.5g)? Or is it the two together that weigh in at 187.5g (150g, plus the 38.5g walker allowence), giving me 153.5g left to use on the roller?

I don't mean to exploit the rule in any way, shape or form, and do not necessarily intend to build an entry like this at all. Just considering it as an option and wanted to be clear before deciding.

Thanks in advance.
peterwaller

Re: Clusterbot rules

Post by peterwaller »

2o) Where a clusterbot is composed of a rotary and a walking/shuffling botlet, then each botlet is allowed up to half the maximum of its class (e.g. an antweight cluster might be composed of a roller weighing 75g and a walker weighing 113g).
The rule above means that any extra weight limit for a walker is allowed to be used only by the walker botlet as I read it.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

The rules suggest that a 34g walker is effectively a 22.67g roller giving 127.33g roller allowance left. Total weight would then be 161.3g.
TEAM GEEK!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I don't agree with your interpretation Andy :roll: .
While the wording is not perfect it does say that each botlet is allowed upto a maximum of half its class not an extra allowance .
The example is there to clarify that the roller is limited to 75gms and the walker 113gms.
It would perhaps be better worded then each botlet is allowed to be up to half the maximum of its class
Remote-Controlled Dave

I tend to agree with Peter. That rule is fairly clear to me. The weight advantage can only be applied to the walker side of the clusterbot.
However, this doesn't mean the roller is limited to 75g, as long as both weigh in under the 150g limit. To me, this would suggest the roller can be 116g if the walker is 34g, as, if you have a clusterbot with 2 rollers, you are not limited to two 75g machines, it can be one 50g and one 100g, or any other combination. So, as long as they don't exceed the normal weight limit of 150g, any combo is acceptable.

Is that how other people see it?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

If both botlets combined weigh in at 150 gms you are not getting any allowance for the walker.
Maybe we should widen this discussion to what people think it should be as opposed to what it now states.
The only acurate if complex way is to use the method Andy was using where you take 50% off the weight of the walker, subtract that from 150gms and that leaves the maximum weight allow for the roller. :roll:
Remote-Controlled Dave

I know I'm not getting any allowance for the walker, but if the walker only weighs 34g then its my choice to not use its allowance isn't it? I'm not sure that should mean I should be able to add the allowance to the roller.
That's my opinion of it anyway. Though if more people are of the opinion it should be done the way Andy suggests (which, I admit, I don't fully understand yet) then I'm not going to complain. Just wondered what the answer was.
Damn, I seem to have opened up a rule debate again, even though that's what I was trying not to do.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

How about something like:

Each botlet can weigh up to the maximum allowed for it's locomotion as long as the total weight is <= the max weight limit.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
Remote-Controlled Dave

That doesn't really iron out all the bugs though, cos it CAN weigh more than the "max weight limit" if the walker uses its advantage. Unless, by "max weight limit", you mean a max that a walker/roller could weigh in at under those circumstances, which would be 113g +75g = 188g?

That's if that's the version people agree on. It's the one I think I personally agree with (though that has never really mattered before, lol)
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

How about (worded better obviously):

The total weight limit for a clusterbot composed of more than one type of locomotion is: 150+(75x(Walking robots in the cluster/Total robots in the cluster)). This may be split between the botlets in any way. No roller that is part of a cluster bot may exceed 150grams.

So a roller and a cluster would have a weight allowance of: 150+(75x(1/2))
: 150+(75x0.5)
: 150+37.5
: 187.5

This can then be split how you like but you can't have a 30g walker and a 157.5g antweight as it breaches the last part of the rules.

Two rollers and a walker: 150+(75x(1/3))
: 150+25
: 175

Two walkers and a roller: 150+(75x(2/3))
: 150+50
: 200

And just to check two rollers:
150+(75x(0/2))
150+(75x0)
150+0

And two walkers:
150+(75x(2/2))
150+(75x1)
150+75

It complies with current walker weight bonuses and weight limits but provides a more definitive way of determining the bonus for weight. Your thoughts on this solution?
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!