HobbyKing 2.4Ghz

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

petec

HobbyKing 2.4Ghz

Post by petec »

Has anyone bought one of these....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 2_(Mode_1)

?14 for a 6ch 2.4Ghz seems too good to be true. I'm revising the content of the ant kit but I'm thinking this might be cutting costs too far for beginners!
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I recognise those - the Australian roboteers have been using them I think, I don't think they've encountered any major issues with them other than with poor build quality (which does go with the territory with it being less than twenty pounds!)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I make it about ?27 ($24.99 + $17.95 shipping) using Google's current conversion rate.

Still looks like a good deal, but does need a PC (and maybe some perseverence) to program mixing etc. May be a support nightmare in the making? Especially since it looks like the kit doesn't come with the cable, drivers or configuration software...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
widow_twanky

Post by widow_twanky »

We've got a few of these.

Recon, Colins Battlerat has been running on one for the last few months.

The build quality of the handset is 'adequate' (just) and there's no mixing on some of the versions.

We're also running Luke's 4x4 touring car on one of the two channel ones.

Nice controllers in terms of value but far outstripped in terms of build quality by stuff like the channel 5's.

Also for some reason they need eight..........yes eight aa batteries to run them. Don't know why because all they do is run it through a regulator into the board. Never really been that bothered to modify them but it is something to consider when looking at cost.
widow_twanky

Post by widow_twanky »

oh, and spare receivers have been out of stock for over a month now!!!
leo-rcc

Re: HobbyKing 2.4Ghz

Post by leo-rcc »

petec wrote:Has anyone bought one of these....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 2_(Mode_1)

?14 for a 6ch 2.4Ghz seems too good to be true. I'm revising the content of the ant kit but I'm thinking this might be cutting costs too far for beginners!
I've used one for a different project and they are not great. The Giantcod ones are better than these. The controls feel loose, the build quality is very poor.
Best regards,

Leo van Miert.
Dutchrobotgames
Team RCC website
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Not quite the right place for this but I see HobbyKing do a receiver compatible with all Spectrum DS2 transmitters for about ?9.
I have ordered some to try.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/stor ... duct=11972
I feel a new module coming on if they are any good.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I hope that does work, it would be a great alternative to people who own Spetrums but have to fork out 35-45 quid for a receiver (some that are double and triple that weight). The 2g spectrum AR6300 was 40 quid when I last bought one.
widow_twanky

Post by widow_twanky »

get em now whilst they're in stock because it's been a few months since they had any!!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Looks like you are right they are already out of stock.
Hopfully with my order showing reserved I should get them.