Robots Live Whitwick: 27th & 28th Feb 2010

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

I'll be there on Sunday

Oh yeah
22%
Oh No
22%
OMG
56%

Total votes: 9

Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

Great event everyone :D
Some good fights and the audience looked interested in our ants. It's a pity we didn't have ants running all the time.
The results to my recollection were:
1st: Anticide
2nd: Terrorizer
3rd: Ant Awe 6
BTW: For live events, such as this one, maybe it would be better to just run mellees and free for alls, like at Aylesbury, so we can keep the action going continuosly, whereas in a competition, only certain robots can enter the ring, and we are always waiting for people to get there ants ready, but with a free for all, paople can put there ants in the arena and run as long as they want. What do you guys think?
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I second that, fantastic event and well done to Andy (again...with a broken robot...) for winning. :)

Maybe a compromise would be to run the competition acrss fewer fights so there's more time for free-for-alls and melees? A few other events such as speedway and football would be good to engage the audience as well.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Frustrating and fun event: waiting for various ants to turn up for 20 minutes was frustrating, but once that was over it was fun.

Yes I agree, let's do melees, perhaps peppered with an antweight teams only competition. Sorry Will, Matt and Alex, but antweight events are fast, sometimes two a minute, and you guys have other priorities, you're welcome to melee away though.

Anyone else agree? I don't want to be contentious, but we need to be running when the big fights end.

Simon

Videos out in the next few days.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Thanks for organising and setting up the event, and thanks to those that competed.

These Robot Live events are fun in their own way, but the horrible loud music, and incessant shouting and cheering get fairly annoying after a while. I'm glad in a way that we don't attract crowds to our nice, quiet, relaxed antweight events :P.

I agree with Simon's idea for the ants, it would be nice to have a constant stream of proper fights when there's a crowd watching, then people can just melee and play around the rest of the time.

Unless I'm mistaken, Ed didn't mention the ants once, nor were we included in the prize giving at the end, which is a bit annoying. We're certainly more interesting than a robot that can climb a rope and shake it's head, or those terribad boxing robots.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

These Robot Live events are fun in their own way, but the horrible loud music, and incessant shouting and cheering get fairly annoying after a while. I'm glad in a way that we don't attract crowds to our nice, quiet, relaxed antweight events .
You are beginning to sound like a grumpy old man Scott I thought that was my job. :roll:
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Thanks to Simon and co for running the ant competition, sorry we kept on holding everyone up but as Simon said at these events we do have other commitments.

I think it would be better to run an antweight teams only competition at these sort of events as we cannot always be ready on time to fight with our ants as we have so many other robots to keep running throughout the shows. We would still like to take part in the odd melee though and smash a few cans up with the spinners.

Anyway well done to Andy (again :wink: ) for winning with Anticide and hopefully we'll see you all again at an antweight event soon where I can concentrate on having fun with the ants.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Thanks for being so understanding Will.

Simon
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

I am going to upload the dramatic 3 part final onto utube.
I might do a compilation vid of the whole event.
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

EpicentrE wrote: These Robot Live events are fun in their own way, but the horrible loud music, and incessant shouting and cheering get fairly annoying after a while. I'm glad in a way that we don't attract crowds to our nice, quiet, relaxed antweight events :P.
I cant really imagine it.

Oh no, the music isnt going to be too loud?
No dearie, well just have some soft fairy tinkles in the background.
How will we decorate this room then?
I was thinking pink stripes with hearts.
O dear, that hammer looks scary!
Ooh yes!
I will just take it off and replace it with a feather duster in case anyone gets scared. :P