Couple of Questions

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Geoncide

Couple of Questions

Post by Geoncide »

1: What transmitter comes with the 4 channel Pants?
2:Are they any battries(nimh) about with leads?

Soon I will buy the pants kit(calling the bot "The Grim Chopper") ,hacking a Dantomkia Toy(Little Lifter) and a hacked Tornado(Sir Shovealot)
welchy

Post by welchy »

Hello all,

Am located in Australia with the robowars.org lads, am making a 150 g robot and wanna use micro servo's speed hacked, i have modified the servo for 360 rotation and am wondering, the best way to speed hack it so its not uber slow is simply to remove the gear attached to the pot and glue the two gears that r in the middle directly above each other together so hence bypassing one gear reduction.

What have others done that have worked successfully, i notced anty b did this and it worked nicely for a speedy drive system.

Thanks in advance guys
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

First welcome to the world of ants.
It's difficult to be certain without seeing the servo but that is normally how it is done. The only thing is that you are actually bypassing two reductions which are normally about 3:1 so you end up with a servo 9 times faster but only 1/9th of the output torque. With a micro servo you won't have much power for pushing. Also you need to ensure you remove all traces of grease from the gears or they will not glue together properly. If you can design around larger wheels you can increase the speed a smaller amount and keep more torque without speed hacking.
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

the servo's i speed hacked i drill out the hole in the base of the output gear. Then i flipped over the second gear (the gear after the motor) then glued it to the gear above it then the gear below the output gear i totally remove.

done
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Anty B has tiny wheels so the effect of speed hacking is not too severe.

Simon
Critters

Post by Critters »

peterwaller wrote:First welcome to the world of ants.
It's difficult to be certain without seeing the servo but that is normally how it is done. The only thing is that you are actually bypassing two reductions which are normally about 3:1 so you end up with a servo 9 times faster but only 1/9th of the output torque. With a micro servo you won't have much power for pushing. Also you need to ensure you remove all traces of grease from the gears or they will not glue together properly. If you can design around larger wheels you can increase the speed a smaller amount and keep more torque without speed hacking.
Pete's right, You will want to avoid speed hacking servos. Just no pushing power left. Im going to use servos for mine just becuase I don't want the hassle of the motors. Like wiring the battery up and all that, but it just comes down to what you want to do.
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

no pushing power?
Anto used 2x nano hp speed hacked servos and was pushing everything round, that was only feb 07, think of Kintec energy (Linear) 1/2Mass x Velocity sq, the amount of force you can displace with a high speed antweight is equal to or greater than a standard 360 hack
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

speed hacking most servos is fine and will usually give enough torque.

Usually I remove two gears for a speed mod making roughly a servo with 4 reductions, 4x quicker but 4 x less torque. This is fine as a 2kg servo will be reduced to 500 grams. More then enough to move your self with another robot. This to me sounds perfect.
I have been quite stubborn with the change from servos to geared motors. This is because I usually go through servos constantly and I cant afford to do that with geared motors.
I will be trying a simple 360 degree mod on a hpx park servo as I believe this will give me plenty of speed. I usually mod a s3003 giving it a speed of 166.6 rpm at 800grams torque. Similar speed as a HPX (142.8rpm at 3kg or torque).
On paper easily out does the Solarbotics GM12a which is 170rpm with 756 grams of torque. However of course the solarbots have metal gears.
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

A couple of mine are running on Marco's speed hack, and it works fine, gives plenty of pushing power. The only problem with servos is stripping gears, which tends to happen more often with most speed hacks, but, you know, that happens anyway.
Im gradually converting over to motors though cos theyre easier and they last longer (unless a spinner has a go at them obviously, lol.)
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39