first ant spinner

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

starter ant

first ant spinner

Post by starter ant »

hi i am going to have a go at building an antweight spinner. I have a good knowledge of electronics and mechanics. I am asking if someone could help me design the chassis and mounts for motors etc.

What usually wins in antweights horizontal blde or a vericle blade.

thanks.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Whatever experience you have of electronics and mechanics, it is a good idea to start simply with a pusher or flipper. Once you have some experience of what does and does not work at antweight scale you can start to look at other weapons.

Most importantly, the danger of spinners cannot be understated. Even at antweight size, they can do plenty of damage to you if you get in the way. They can also do plenty of dmage to themselves if anything goes even slightly wrong.

As to horizontal versus vertical, well, it's hard to say. And when a horizontal spinner meets a vertical spinner - anything can happen!

BTW, if you have a good knowledge of mechanics, why do you need someone to help you design the chassis and motor mounts???
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
starter ant

Post by starter ant »

hi just to clear it up I meant to say basic knowledge and i will be able to get help with these things also.

On the topic of saftey I was thinking about building it testing it then removing the blade untill it is time to use it. I have made a few small robots out of old rc cars etc but i dont know what happened to them. Would you still think this is a bad idea?
Critters

Post by Critters »

Well, spinners are pretty tough to make. I've been working in a desine with some people on the forum here and so far we've gotten almost no where. There is so much to think about armor, blade, motors....

for the saftey just where saftey glasses when you need to and always aim the blade away from your self if using in an open area. Other then that it's you common sense
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi guys,

Just for the record, it's not just your eyes that can be damaged by a spinner.

20g of titanium spinning at 20,000 rpm can do an awful lot of damage to any part of your body. At the least wear some stout gloves and certainly try to test it on the other side of something protective, say a window.

If either of you can possibly make it to an event, then I'm sure that your designs will improve by seeing some of our robots in the "flesh"

Simon
malivoirec

Post by malivoirec »

I remember that the FRA forum had a long discussion about this and they never came up with a conclusion.
Remember that you need to have a balance with the weapon (the motor power, the disk/blade weight etc.) and the structual weight and strength. Spinners are notorious to braking themmselves due to the shock it creates and it is very hard to create a spinner that causes lots of damage and can control this without causing itself to fall into a million pieces.
This is not a post trying to tell you not to build a spinner (as I am trying to build a drum spinner myself), just something to look out for when you are designing.
Fortune cookie says: Pain is meerly a feeling;
unless its PERMANANT FOREVER.

Fortune cookie no.2 says: Take heed of
Last cookie
starter ant

Post by starter ant »

hi thanks for the tips.

I am trying to get everything figured out before i buy anything. Whats the best way to fit a blade for a vertice spinner to a brushless motor.

1. on the shaft

2. on the motor casing like boo or katjuscha

if so how?

thanks
Critters

Post by Critters »

starter ant wrote:hi thanks for the tips.

I am trying to get everything figured out before i buy anything. Whats the best way to fit a blade for a vertice spinner to a brushless motor.

1. on the shaft

2. on the motor casing like boo or katjuscha

if so how?

thanks

mst likly i say the casing. The shaft would have some trouble with the blade in the center of the bot (vertical) if it was a horizontal i would say shaft
Simon Windisch

.....If either of you can possibly make it to an event, then I'm sure that your designs will improve by seeing some of our robots in the "flesh"

Simon
yea... that's my problem i live in Canada. Not only that im in a small town. There isn't a hobby shop. The closest one is 1.5 hrs away!
starter ant

Post by starter ant »

Hi how would I fit a blade to the casing of the motor. Does it need to be a special motor and how do I secure it.
Critters

Post by Critters »

starter ant wrote:Hi how would I fit a blade to the casing of the motor. Does it need to be a special motor and how do I secure it.
Well, you oculd get a blade custom made, or you can try to make the hole bigger.

To securing you just glue it. Crasy glue, Shoo glue, Gerilla glue.....ect