Reading Robot Club 10: Saturday 30th Sepember 2006

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Simon Windisch

Reading Robot Club 10: Saturday 30th Sepember 2006

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi there,

The tenth Reading Robot Club will be held at the University of Reading Employee's social club on Saturday 30th September 2006 from 12 - 4pm.

Please register here http://windisch.co.uk/robots/rrc/rrc_entryform.htm. The usual other urls apply i.e. http://windisch.co.uk/robots/rrc/rrc10/index.htm.

Please apply if you're planning on coming and please let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements or changes.

One change that I am making is in making the competitions shorter, I know they dragged on a bit last time.

Simon
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Count me in as always. I can't register quite byet though as I'm not sure about which robots I'll be bringing.

As for suggestions/improvements, I thought combat was done pretty well last time. It's inevitable with more entries, the competition will take a bit longer. The groups of 4 or 5 ants was a good idea, and always has been.

I think the speedway was the problem with this last one. It seemed to last a while. As speedway takes longer than a normal battle, maybe we sould make speedway and football knock-out competitions instead of groups?

Also, I don't think it was intended, but the extra hour we got was also pretty cool. Thanks to the early start and late finish, and uber efficient public transport, this was one of the few events where I spent more time competing than I did travelling. I don't know if it's possible, feasible or convenient, but 11.30-4.30 schedule would go down well with me any time.

Other than that, don't change a thing!
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I am not sure that i can make this, hope to make it though. The speedway did take a long time, which wasn't helped by anticipation. As the fill vlve was under the rx things got damaged as it was filled. I hope to change this slightly for the aws so should be ok. A knock out would speed things up, and if the event could run for the extra hour then it would be even better :D
TEAM GEEK!
team tiny terror

Post by team tiny terror »

hi folks i will be able to make it.
also the ti came today and my dads got an angle grinder so that should work to cut it bots still not arrived even though i sent the check a week ago :( .

simon i think a small tag knock out tournement would be good.also does any one know how to bend 0.5mm ti into a scoop without it snapping or just going flat again.
"You say jump we say how high"

RATM
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I don't think adding events is the best idea if we're running over time as it is. lol. I was never really fond of "tag team" personally
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

@Team Tiny Terror:
I managed to form quite a nice smooth curve in Ti by simply hammering it over a wooden former (edge of the Workmate). You need to hit it quite a lot - not too hard - and work your way around just putting in a small bend each time then repeating 'til you get the right shape.

If you have access to a (manual) sheet metal bending machine, it might be possible to use it gently to work a series of very small bends into a curve. It's probably difficult unless you get the technique just right though! (I've not tried this.)

If you can find some scrap aluminium (maybe 1mm) to practice on it's a lot easier to work but will help you learn the hammering technique. I'm afraid it's just down to practice!

Never try to put a sharp bend in Ti - it will just crack. About 5mm radius seems to be the minimum for most people. Similarly don't try to bend it all in one go - it will just crack.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
josh

Post by josh »

if its only 0.5mm u can band it with plyers i made 1 outa 0.5 by holdin 1 end in the vice and jst slowly twistin my plyers round and away from me that make quite a nice curve
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Aaargh! Just realised I can't make this. I'm in London on that weekend. And I was going to debut my new Nightmare of Milky Joe too! (this one won't shake or topple)
Remote-Controlled Dave

It's touch and go for me at this one too, just haven't got much time on my hands atm (new job), and it's becoming one hell of a round trip to do on the day, I may well jus' be too tired.
However, as always, usually its only the plague that can stop me turning up, so, if there's any possibility, I'll take it.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Remote-Controlled Dave

whoops :roll:
Last edited by Remote-Controlled Dave on Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39