Cluster Robots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

Cluster Robots

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Just wanted to start a thread discussing how cluster bots fight.

The current rules are that is more than 50% by weight is elminated then the robot looses. So for two fleas you would have to eliminate both to win.

How do the teams work, are you not allowed to drive half of a cluster in another team if you have a full team? I think if you drive it, it is on your team and takes up one of the spaces.

Thoughts?
TEAM GEEK!
olivers

Post by olivers »

"The current rules are that is more than 50% by weight is elminated then the robot looses. So for two fleas you would have to eliminate both to win. "

In short yes. If it went to the full 3 mins the judges would probably vote against a clusterbot if it had lost 1/2 it's number.

"How do the teams work, are you not allowed to drive half of a cluster in another team if you have a full team? I think if you drive it, it is on your team and takes up one of the spaces."

Got any easier questions? I would say that the 4 ant rule stays, to let people have 4 ants and a flea forming half a cluster would be tricky as you would constantly being called up for fights. The clusterbot/flea would come come out of the 'non-rolling' ant farm though so you could have 3 rolling ants then a flea if you wanted. That is just my opinion.

As for the teams, I think the majority of teams only have 1 member so it makes sense to form a 'flea clusterbot' with another team. Whou would get the trophy if you win.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The definition of a "team" seems to cause some problems (maybe we should add a definition to the rules?).

I think it goes something like this:

A team is considered to be one driver and/or one transmitter, such that it is not possible for the team to compete against itself.

A one-driver team may use different transmitters for different robots, but because there is only one driver, the robots cannot fight each other.

Similarly, a single transmitter may be shared between two or more drivers driving one or more robots. Once again the robots cannot fight each other as there is only one transmitter.

A team may contain other non-driving members, although in practice this is rare in antweights.

Each team may enter up to 4 robots in one competition.
At most 3 conventional 150g rolling ants may be entered.
The 4th robot must be a walker or a cluster-bot.
It would be acceptable to enter up to 4 walkers or cluster-bots.

If a cluster-bot is formed from 2 robots from different teams, the cluster-bot counts as one entry from each team. Both teams would then be able to enter up to three other robots each (of any type).

Hope this clarifies things a bit...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

That seems to make sence :D
TEAM GEEK!
josh

Post by josh »

so u could have 2ants 1super and 1 flea in a cluster or supers not part of this and u can have 3rolling supers as well as 1 walking super?
Marco Roberts

Post by Marco Roberts »

Yeah I like these rules, is it possible to get them inforced?
<-=AWS 10 1st and 2nd champ=->
<-=AWS 13 1st and 2nd champ=->
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

We've been looking at the rules across email, so a new set should be available fairly soon shouldn't it?

Josh, Supers are a different catergory, so yes, you will still be allowed 4 supers regardless of how many ants you entered.

Otherwise I think Gary put it perfectly.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Yes, I'll send out another draft this week, for approval.

Simon
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

(Tried to post this last night but phpBB seemed to be playing up...)

One further clarification perhaps:

4 ants per competition (etc... as above)
An event/meeting may consist of one or more competitions.

This means you can take more than 4 ants to an event, and enter a total of 8 different ants in 2 comps at one event. This allows for people like Mr Waller to build competition-specific ants for multi-competition events. :wink:
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Good call, I do that too. :)
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39