Reading Robot Club 9: Saturday 6th May 2006

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Simon, would it be possible for me to do a K*bot demonstration on the side of the AW fights, so that I can spread the word a bit (I assume you have people coming in to watch the fight or do other robot stuff)
josh

Post by josh »

wats a k*bot?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

http://www.kbotworld.com/

Our World Championship website

K*bots are robots of different disiplines made from K'nex, you have 4 disciplines, 5 if you count the walkers:

Division 1 and 2: 2 motorized robots are put at either end of a 6ft by 3ft table covered in 'Rubbertex', and the aim is to push your opponent off the edge or its own end, or, failing that, as far back as possible. This division isn't controlled, you switch them on and leave them be. The difference is that Division 1 is 2WD and Division 2 is 4WD.

Division 3 is infa-red controlled K*bots that fight in a 6ft by 3ft arena (with walls, unlike Division 1 and 2), and thier aim is to fight each other, obviously trying to immobilise each other, or to amass as many points as possible (points are gained for flipping (all wheels off ground), pinning (holding a robot against a wall immobile for 5 seconds) and damage (any K'nex peices that come completely off onto the floor).

Division M is basically Robot Wars, but the robots are made from K'nex, and they are manually driven via pushes and puls, and all weapons operated via levers and cranks. the rules regarding Manual class K*bots are strict to avoid just ramming lumps of plastic into each other. Like Div 3, they fight in an arena, points are gained for successful attacks in the case of flippers and axes (either all the wheels off the floor or 75% of the chassis is its awkward, and a true hit on the armour for axes). Spinners and rammers don't get successful attack points: spinner get double points for damage, and rammers just get damage points.

Hope thats sufficient
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Yes, that's great Dave, I'll reserve a table for the k*bots.

Simon
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

You wern't kidding bout how big this thing was Dave! :o
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Its big on the WC circuit, but due to various stuff going on with myself and Toby (the other origaniser), we are a little short on UK competitors, but hopefully this will give us a boost, even though the next UK champs is April.

Cheers for letting us do the demo Simon, 'preciate it
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Here's UK and scotland rep Andrew taking it to Man Eater in Division 2
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

I've entered Anto and superAnto and will enter Dave 3
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

That's great Craig, thanks.

Simon
Rhys