AWS19

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hi guys

Dave, do you know somewhere reliable I can get train timetables fo the trains to Hull ?

Oh, and you said about an AW annihilator, I've always thought a fight on the Royal Rumble basis would be cool, but not on the scale that the WWE do it. The main idea is: 2 robots start, and every so often a new competitor is entered until all are in, then its the last one standing. in the WWE, its a 30 person match, but it would be smaller for robot terms (I've had to write a 30 robot rumble in fanfic, not easy :-? ), plus the robots can have a 20% weight allowance for extra armour, batteries or CO2 in some cases. Just a mad idea, thought you might like it
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

@Dave (26): The entry closing date was only a suggestion. I can make it the 10th if you prefer.
I should have my Super ready by then (if it doesn't get too badly broken at Reading). Must get round to registering sometime...
Will get back to you ASAP Simon.
BTW, why did you call me Simon? :-?
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Dave, for trains, I usually check on here to get times, and then actually go into the station I'm travelling from to check through and buy tickets...sometimes there's slight differences on the internet, but usually its ok.
A Royal Rumble idea does sound cool, but isn't really feasable. It would take a hell of a lot of organising, and we'd have to stop the fight, open the arena, and close the arena again to allow someone new to enter mid-fight...a lot of hassle when we may as well run the usual melee or my Annihilator pitch.
Quote:
Will get back to you ASAP Simon.

BTW, why did you call me Simon?
Its because I'm so very tired...lol, sorry Gary. Yes, I can handle enteries til the 10th no problem, thanks. Am working on directions too.

A competition involving anything up to Super weight will run if people are bringing them. Pete's registered Fleabite too, if anyone wants to take him on for the title? Maybe run an annihilator after the AWS has finished.
Keep registering guys!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
josh

Post by josh »

should have my flea done by then dave and does anyone wanna do a cluster with me?
Remote-Controlled Dave

A reminder guys that if someone teams up with Josh, or anyone else for a cluster, that that can count as the fourth robot on a team ie. a walker or a cluster/half a cluster. So if anyone's building a flea but already has 3 rollers, they can still team up with Josh.

It was an idea Craig brought up at the last event, and I think its a good one as it encourages people to build clusters like it does walkers.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I think you've got slightly the wrong end of the stick.

What it means is you can't enter 4 "full-size" ants and half a cluster. If a cluster bot is entered as a joint entry by 2 teams, then it counts as one of the 4 for each team.

So if you have, say, 4 ants and 2 fleas:
You can enter all 4 ants in the antweight comp (assuming 1 is a walker). You would then not be allowed to enter your fleas as part of any cluster.

Or, you can enter 3 ants plus both fleas as a cluster.

Or, you can enter 3 ants plus one flea as part of a cluster with another team.

Or, you can enter 2 ants plus both fleas as separate clusters with other teams.

This was a suggestion for the new rules, which seem to have been delayed somewhat...
Currently the rules do not say anything about clusters from combined teams. This was seen as a loophole and the suggestion is to close it.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

It seems to me that Gary and Dave (26) are actually in agreement.
BeligerAnt wrote:
You can enter 3 ants plus both fleas as a cluster.

Or, you can enter 3 ants plus one flea as part of a cluster with another team.
seems to agree with
Dave26 wrote: a cluster, that that can count as the fourth robot on a team ie. a walker or a cluster/half a cluster
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

My understanding is that you are allowed three rollers and a walker.
If you enter a flea in a cluster that would counts as one of the rollers unless of course it is a walker. The exta allowance above the three limit we originally had, was an incentive to get more walkers developed and had nothing to do with cluster bots.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Yes, I was trying to say the same thing as Gary, but he put it better than me as usual.

Pete, it was aimed at walkers only until the committee meeting at the end of AWS18, where Andrew turned up with a flea as half of a cluster on Scotts team, but still had four ants of his own too. Craig said that, as we want to encourage clusters as much as walkers, then the "4th" robot of a team could be either a walker, a full cluster, or half a cluster with another team (in which case it would count as number 4 for both teams, like Gary said).
I intend to run it this way for AWS19 if the issue comes up, unless of course anyone objects?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Remote-Controlled Dave

Yes, I was trying to say the same thing as Gary, but he put it better than me as usual.

Pete, it was aimed at walkers only until the committee meeting at the end of AWS18, where Andrew turned up with a flea as half of a cluster on Scotts team, but still had four ants of his own too. Craig said that, as we want to encourage clusters as much as walkers, then the "4th" robot of a team could be either a walker, a full cluster, or half a cluster with another team (in which case it would count as number 4 for both teams, like Gary said). Clusters don't get the weight advantage though.
I intend to run it this way for AWS19 if the issue comes up, unless of course anyone objects?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39