AWS19

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

josh

Post by josh »

ok ill still bring it then
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Dave26 wrote:My point is whats the point in putting any effort into building Superants at all if I can enter my ants? Its seems stupid to me.
Dave that very silly logic. Lets keep it the same but just change the words slightly:
"My point is whats the point in putting any effort into building Ants at all if I can enter my fleas? Its seems stupid to me."

That's the same logic in both cases and yet nobody seemed to have a problem at aws 11 when craig entered anto which was 73-74g into the antweight competition.

Dave, also take it from me as someone who wanted to change the world when i was your age:
Ireland and England are both democracys, if you put forward an idea, no matter how great it may seem to you, if most other people dont like it then you cant just push it through.

I should probably listen to my own advise there aswell.
The Irish Guy
Website Hosting:
http://www.dghosting.co.uk
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

As i have become one of the causes of groves appearing in arenas, i hope to solve this with the next kwijebo. Only time will tell. 8)
TEAM GEEK!
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

In regards to the issues with Superants:

I have to say I am with Dave on this one.

I thought that the whole point of Superants was that they are good robot for new people to start off with because they are cheap and easy to build - using standard R/C components. Having antweights with ballasts entering seems to go completely against that and could/will put new people off because their competitors will be just as advanced as they would be if they were to build an antweight in the first place.

If we want the superant class to expand, entering antweights is not the way to go about it.
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

So good posts by Bobblebot and Raizor, that I almost start crying. No really, I dont, but it still are good posts
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

My apoloogies for not getting back to you all but I've now solved this issue of ownership. I did create the Superant division for my event Nano Wars, the original rules and guidlines were written by my self. The event i am running in Janurary/Feb time (the pilot show) is Nano Wars and under Television and media practices is a Registered Trademark, under that name we take the SuperAnt division and its guidelines to a registered trademark. For all future discussion I now OWN the rights to the superant weight division as it is registered to me.
You want to change anything with the supers u do it through me.
The Antweights however, are not owned. they were created as part of robot wars rules and have become independent and are not owned by anyone.

Sorry it came to this but i wont have people messing with my idea.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Thats fine by me Craig.
Listen guys, I thought that rulling would make the competition fairer. As it got comlained about, I've over-rulled it, theres no problem. I'll run the supers the way people want them to be run, so long as it suits Craig's guidelines of course.
Some people agree with me, some people dont, its not a huge issue. Talking about "changing the world" is a little extreme! :roll:
I will run a competition that goes up to Superant weight at the end of the AWS in february, into which anyone can enter, as thats the way people want to play it.

At Raizor: The fleaweight issue is different. If you want to enter the FWS, you HAVE to build a flea, whereas to enter the Superant competition, you dont need to build anything different from your ants. I was going to spend money building a super like I usually do, but dont see the point now, I'd just use my ants and save myself some time and effort. Making the Superant competition exclusive to Supers would mean my effort would be justified. That was my point, its been over-ruled, doesn't mean to say its not a viable one.

Can I just check with Craig too, you now own the rights to "Superants"? So, if I wanted to do a competition strictly for them, I could call them "Big Ants" or some such stupid name, and run it my way, and it wouldnt be an issue with you because the rules would be different to those of your "registered" competition. I'm not going to do that, but, its just a name mate.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
petec

Post by petec »

Craig, just out of a matter of interest, where did you register this trademark? I can't find it in the trademarks database, or indeed any entry for you. Also, as I understand trademarking only protects use of the phrase which has been registered. It doesn't provide any protection or control on anything else. Hence why Battlebots was allowed to do exactly the same thing as RobotWars without any legal challenge to the format.

Of course, there is nothing to stop them being referred to as Super ants - two common words used to describe a larger class of antweight robot.

:-)
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
Remote-Controlled Dave

That was my point too.
Anyway, maybe move this whole debate to the Superant section of the forum?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Remote-Controlled Dave

You can now register for AWS19 here:

http://www.robotwars101.org/ants/antwei ... .php?id=83

with thanks to Pete for setting that up for me. (Anyone wishing to run a "beefed up" ant in the supers competition does NOT have to register the robot twice as two seperate weights, just once as an ant will do.)

Another quick note, if using the map given on there (the one multimap gives), the venue is visible from Holderness Road (the big green one) and there will probably be some kind of banner up outside, so it'll be pretty easy to find.

Arena pictures will be available tomorrow also.

Thanks.

Dave.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39