Reading Robot Club 9: Saturday 6th May 2006

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Can I get a DVD Si? That must have happened after we rushed off...

Good event, some superb battles! Unfortunately, the ones that created them battles seem to be the ones who can't make AWS20 :(.

Ah well, was worth the nightmare travel scenario.

Thanks to Rhys for travel-buddy, Simon for putting it on and Scott for keeping me nicely insulted throughout the day :wink:

Congrats to Marco (great comeback, great bots), Hib (Yey! Kwijebo!), Rhys (ow!) and Josh for improving Merge again beyond no age.

I was thinking, instead of antweight of the month, we could do antweight of the event. So many to choose from, but I think I'd pick...The Nightmare Of Milky Joe.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Yes great event again Simon looks like the younger generation are starting to take control so I need to start improving my designs and driving.
Nice to see Marco and Liz again.
I am not sure the collective term for ants maybe a swarm like Bees I seem to remember the collective term for bankers is a wunch but thats another story.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I liked Kwijebo, it seemed to come right at this event.

I've changed provisional dates for RRC 10, because the last was a Sunday. How about Sat 30th September?

Simon
olivers

Post by olivers »

I will post some pics sometime.

Simon, do you want a copy of them so you can stick them on the DVD?

If so my mail address is oliver 'dot' steeples 'at' virgin.net
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

That's a great idea Oliver, but I've already made the DVDs.

Oh well.

Simon
team tiny terror

Post by team tiny terror »

hi everyone i am just starting robotics (although i was on the website ages ago and got all my questions awnsered) my name is tim and i wass at the event on saturday you might not know me but you probally of seen me (the kid driveing defiant).

I was wondering if i could get your advice.

i was thinking of buying a bot from the r 101 store either the robot named pants to start of with and maby later on get polycarb and make my on body.

or get the begginers kit what do you think????
"You say jump we say how high"

RATM
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I'd advise getting the beginnners kit, it's what I started out with and its perfectly ample to make a simple flipper/lifter/grabber bot, and I still use the transmitter from it now. It comes with enough plasticard to make your own body, so all you need is a bit of tape or glue to hold it all together, (or if your Dave, a lot of tape :P)

Oh, and Dave, I wasn't insulting you! Merely...pointing out the differences in our approaches on the quest for robotic domination!
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I didn't start with the beginners kit although i had a full shopping list. I would also reccomend it.

scott -*giggles*
TEAM GEEK!
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Great event (as always) and can't wait for the next one. I forgot DVDs were being done. Any chance I can send some money over and get a copy too?

Nice to see the fact that Marco has been away for so long hasn't affected him in the slightest. Back to his old winning ways. They looked really good as well. I think painting mine is a must for the next one.

And talking of winning, Scott, you'll have to give the rest of us a chance. :cry: Void was on top form.
you might not know me but you probally of seen me
Hi Tim. How could I forget you. You put me out within about 3 seconds :P Maybe you should just let pete build them, and have you drive them. Seemed to work pretty well. But seriously though. Good luck with building your first ant. The begginers kit you'll find on this site is very comprehensive, and will have all you need to get going. I personally never had it, but everyone else seems to say it's great.

However, if you're on a tight budget, I'd reccomend looking elsewhere. SMC has all you need for a basic ant, with a weapon for around the ?60 mark. However, this involves a lot of thinking for yourself (servo mods, buying correct items, desgining the robot). This gives you more freedom, but is a bit more difficult for beginners.
josh

Post by josh »

the kits probably the best to start with as its all modified and ready to jst put together really but then again it can be quite expensive with the radio.

Could i have a dvd plz si (how much are they?)
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com