Reading Robot Club 9: Saturday 6th May 2006

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

You're taking entries already? Think I'll wait til closer the time. Gonna have money issues over the next few months. But as usual, I'll end up there.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
team tiny terror

Post by team tiny terror »

Hi I was puzzeled at the crystal frequincy bit cause its my first time with ants I didnt know what it ment when you had to register. I know what a crystal is (funny little thing that plugs into tx) but didnt know if there was a number on it telling you hat frequincy it is and if you need one for the rx aswell? Should I buy a new one or use the one they give u with the tx buy the way does anyone know a good tx model (3channels would be good) I can buy and where to get it from??? :-?

:-?
"You say jump we say how high"

RATM
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

If you buy a transmitter on its own, it probably won't come with crystals, but if you buy them as part of a set, it will more than likely come with crystals. You will need 40MHz FM Single Conversion crystals (make sure you make this clear to who you are buying them from. SMC have twice sent me wrong crystals). You will need one for the transmitter and one for the reciever.

If you do get them with your transmitter, it's always good to have a spare set of crystals, so look into buying a spare set. Also, befor you buy them, look at what frequency other are using, and try and buy a different one. ie. My crystals are 40.705 and no-one else uses them, so there's never any clashes.

As you can see from these pictures, the frequency is clearly marked on the crystal. And on the other side, it also says if it's a Tx or Rx crystal, and if it's AM or FM.

They just slot into your transmitter easily as show here.

As for a transmitter, I use a Futaba Skysport 4. Very good, never had any problems. Whatever you do buy though, try and make sure it's a 40MHz model. I got my 40MHz skysport from Als Hobbies
I don't think they're listed, but send them an email and I'm sure they'll have some.
Remote-Controlled Dave

What HAVE you done to that Hitec Micro Rhys?? :-?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Abused it :D
Remote-Controlled Dave

Whe's the date you have to sign up by Si?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Oh you know, the evening before, probably, but the earlier the better in terms of making it easier for me to organise.

Simon
Remote-Controlled Dave

Ah well, put me down for the usual far-too-many...should be all built and ready within the next few weeks, depending when I get my servos back. Will register soon anyhow. Decided I'm definately coming! lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Remote-Controlled Dave

Simon, are thwak-bots / sit-n-spin bots allowed to enter the non-spinner competition? They don't actually have spinners do they.
(In case you don't know what I mean, like, a robot that has a pick-axe or some kind of sharp point on it and is designed to have a really fast rate of spin, so it drives into the middle of the arena and then just spins around a-la FIN at AW19).
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

better had thats all XP is good for without the gyro :lol: