AWS19

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

As I understand it, a "team" is limited to four entries in any one competition.

The definition of a "team" for antweight purposes is (I believe) a single person, or a group of people sharing equipment such that they cannot fight against each other.

The limit of four entries was to prevent any one person swamping the competition. Four robots was agreed to be a reasonable limit. With a limit of 4 entries we still sometimes get people having to fight themselves in the semi-finals (or even the final!). With more entries per person this would surely only get worse.

Simon, I think last time Team Electra and Team Bovik could be considered separate entries as they had separate equipment and separate drivers. I don't think the fact that you were looking after all the robots is really significant. Any of Electra, Dynamite or Fast Dalek could still be drawn against any of Entrant, Sub or Vacuum.

If you wish to drive all the robots yourself, then I think you should be limited to any 3 (there is no walker). If Nathan and/or your brother were to drive all of your ants, then that would leave you free to drive all the Bovik ants.

I don't think it would be in the spirit of things to share 6 robots between 2 or 3 drivers in an ad-hoc manner. I think you should define your "teams" and then stick to them throughout the competition.

Just my own opinion...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

That sounds fair. Any other views?

Simon
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I think Gary has it about right it not about how many you own its about a practical limit on what can be managed by both competitors and organisers.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

This was the issue raised by me for the last event, which caused the confusion, but I think we work to the way Gary has put it. It's fair and easy to understand.

Simon, have you thought about asking teams that have a spare ant slot if they would be willing to drive? I know Josh was interested in driving a Bovik, and he only has 2 rollers signed up, so he could drive 1, then you could drive 2 and one of your usuals...or whatever combination you desire. If you're happy driving Bovik's, with Nathan driving the usual three, then that works fine.

As long as I know on the registration.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

OK, thanks. I'll discuss this with Nathan this afternoon.

Simon
josh

Post by josh »

o o o pik me pick me :P
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I've sent you an email Josh

Simon
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

OK guys, after much deliberation, both over the weekend and at home, I've decided on the format I'm using for the AWS.
It will be one on one (as far as possible), straight knock out combat (single elimination).
However, anyone knocked out in the first round will be permitted to enter the "losers event" afterwards, for which there will also be a certificate. This means its easy to run, easy to make up on DVD afterwards, but everyone still gets to fight at least twice, with 2 "titles" up for grabs. It also means anyone completely wrecked in the first round wont cause any problems because they cant fight their second fight, which would occure with double elimination.

Fleas, supers, and extra events will proberly play out after the main competition as usual.

Thanks

Dave.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Sounds good Dave.

Simon
Cavecrusher

Post by Cavecrusher »

Dave, replace Antcrusher with Antmosphere