AWS 64- Bournemouth- July 30th 2022

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

baker01t

AWS 64- Bournemouth- July 30th 2022

Post by baker01t »

Hi all, AWS 64 is confirmed for Bournemouth University on July 30th!

https://www.rampagebots.co.uk/member/events/signup

Sign-ups open until July 23rd 2022

Venue:
Talbot Campus, Wallisdown Rd, Poole BH12 5BB

You're looking for "Talbot Campus visitors' car park". There's a hall as you come into the carpark which will be signposted.

Schedule:
Tech checks: Open at 9am, closed at 10.
Lunch: Will aim to make this around 1pm, allowing for natural stopping point in the competition
Event end: 6-7pm

Standard AWS format and AWS rules apply. We’ll be using Dave’s arena for this one.

Any issues/ concerns feel free to drop me an email as I don't check the forum frequently enough:
baker01t@hotmail.co.uk

Covid 19:
Please be prepared to show proof of negative test if required. Masks are not mandatory, but encouraged for those that prefer.
Team Offcut // BakerBots
MySolderIsOlder

Re: AWS 64- Bournemouth- July 30th 2022

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Fantastic news Tom - thanks for confirming so far ahead. Gives us plenty of time to sort out trains/hotel/etc, as well as building and rebuilding some more ants (about time Recycler had an upgrade...)
Stuart (Tony's dad)
samSpinCrazy

Post by samSpinCrazy »

looking forward to coming it be my first one after lockdown every existed and bring some new toys here comes (Plank)
samSpinCrazy

Post by samSpinCrazy »

hi is there food places near by or should we bring lunch?
limpet

Post by limpet »

Thanks Tom, Dave and all who helped to make it a great event.
We enjoyed competing and meeting up with people again which made the long drive for us well worth it, the traffic going back was almost non existant which was very welcome after the slow drive down.
The winner was well deserved and it was good to see some new robot designs doing well too.
The defending Ant Ratchet met its end against a drum, not much you can do when youre flying through the air!
Limpet is still struggling in its design and did ok,got through the first round with a pass but had to take a loss when faced with Ratchet so it evened out.
I came away with some helpful ideas and some good information on materials and electronics (and camper vans!) so I`ll be busy again for a while.
I was impressed with the software running the event, I`ll hopefully be able to use it in the future.

When is 65????
–-----------------------------

For AntFreeze
https://www.facebook.com/AntFreeze/

For my robots etc.
https://www.facebook.com/13Robotics
Ants, Fleas, Beetles, Feathers & Heavies
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Yeah - what a blast! Low numbers were inevitable I guess, given how far south it was, and it being at the start of most people's summer hols but that was still one of our most enjoyable events yet. Lovely venue and great work by the organisers.

One consequence of the lower numbers (I think we ended up with 56 bots) is that fights come thick and fast, which is exhausting but exhilarating. Sadly it also increases the probability of getting drawn against another bot on your own team, which is so frustrating. Happened to Tony with Recycler and Undertaker in Round 3. After much head-scratching about likely opponent in Round 4 he put Undertaker through. Recycler then had to fight its way back up through the loser's bracket, to finish 4th, having only lost one actual fight and won 7, whereas Undertaker took 3rd after winning 4 and losing 2... Instinctively feels like there ought to be a better way of handling intra-team draws within the Double Elimination format, though goodness know how you'd do it fairly!

My own team did as badly as ever, though Gargantua dished out some satisfying damage and even managed to win a fight for once, before meeting its doom in a heavyweight spinner slug-fest against Vampire. Having realised that Vampire's reach was longer than mine, I decided to fight inverted, as an overhead spinner instead of an undercutter. There was plenty of blade-on-blade action before George managed to get in a blow that put a big dent in my weapon motor. After that it came down to a pushing contest, the two beasts circling each other with blades locked together in a dance of death that inevitably ended with me in the pit. Despite the outcome, that was one of my favourite fights. Miraculously, that ridiculous disk, which I always feared was going to be a bit fragile, is still absolutely fine, so Gargantua will be back once I find a suitable motor to replace the now unavailable Viking Multistar 2204.

BTW John, that Nylon/CF filament I was talking about (the one I use for all our ants) is Filamentum's "Nylon CF15 Carbon". 3DFilaPrint and 3DJake both sell it. I've also used Fiberlogy's PA12/CF15 but found with that I had to oven-dry for best results, even from a fresh packet, whereas I've not had that problem with Filamentum. On the UP mini 2, (with UP Studio v3) use the ABS settings as a starting point, with head temp around 250 and the head-cooling vent shut. Depending on the part, I sometimes have to reduce print speed and extrusion amount for the top layers - but otherwise it works fine. I always use the perfboard and let the bed temp get up to about 50c before printing. Never had any adhesion problems like that. With support layers set to 7-8 and Support Peel bond strength on zero, it's pretty easy to separate parts from the support provided you don't have any complex structure underneath. Bottom surface comes out a but 'furry' but that doesn't bother me - if I really need it smooth, eg for attaching acetate, I either slice back carefully with a paring chisel or just paint over with a thin layer of 2-part epoxy.
Before experimenting with CF filaments I took the precaution of buying the steel nozzle from Tiertime, though TBH I'm sceptical about how much damage the abrasion will do to the normal brass version, given the relatively low printing volumes involved.

Anyway, great to see everyone again and meet some new faces too. Roll on 65!