Antweight World Series 62 - Midsomer Norton - November 20th 2021

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

TeamPanoramic

Re: Antweight World Series 62 - Midsomer Norton - November 20th 2021

Post by TeamPanoramic »

Sign up information has been updated. Please also check an update on the format.
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Tension starting to mount. Trains and hotel booked - robots (mostly) ready - last minute panic-printing of spare parts and 'head-scratching over where I left that vital tool' now well underway...
Only 82 sign-ups on Rampage last time I checked so might not need to limit entries per team... or is everyone leaving it to the last minute... Well done to everyone involved with Rampage BTW - all working great.

Which arena are we using for this one?
Stuart (Tony's dad)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Using my arena (Andy Hibbard and Scott’s old one but rebuilt)
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Glad to hear the arena is being used.

I won't be able to make it this weekend, but hope to make some events next year. Good luck everyone!
TEAM GEEK!
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

Great event. Great robots. Great commentary.
Firestorm-in-a-teacup (2WD front hinged flipper)
Hydrant (4WD crusher) (in progress)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I had a great time at the event thanks to Harry and Dave for all the work they put into it.
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Thanks Harry for organising the event, and for Dave for bringing your arena! Good fun, and it was great seeing some of you for the first time in 2 years!
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Thank you to Harry for hosting in a great venue and for the great little touches (trophies, streaming and commentary), did well after the initial wobble with Challonge :)

Massive congratulations to our new champion, Luke with Jiggy Sawdust, nice to see a new driver on the winners list. Also big shout out to Jack Franklin with Bucktooth for 2nd at his FIRST AWS (and considering he only started building robots in June!) and to Sev and Katherine with Yeetus and Retreatus getting 3rd, their 3rd podium finish in the last 4 AWS’s :)

Great to see some brilliant new robots, and lovely to see you all again :)

Anyone that wants to host the next one, do let us know :)
Eli

Post by Eli »

Thanks to everyone who made this event happen! I had a great time, went on a deep run with a robot which wouldn't drive straight and won a 3rd place fleaweight trophy to go with my 2nd place from AWS61 - next time I'll try to complete the set.

My only feedback would be around the bracket and the initial difficulties with Challonge - in any other AWS I wouldn't have Baphomet ripping up 2 of my robots without at least one getting to the top 16.

Having used Challonge to run the bracket at AWS 61 with a 4 group double elimination setup, I did some thinking and I worked out how to run the Antlog style 8 group double elimination on Challonge. The trick is getting the list of competitors into the right format using the right combination of random drawing and forced separation where needed. It also involves adding some byes which are immediately booted after the tournament begins.

I have demonstrated how this can all be done with Excel/Google Sheets in just a few minutes after tech checks close in this video. The Challonge bracket I generated in the video is here.

While it isn't quite the automated draw procedure pinned in the Events page, it's quick, it doesn't require any coding knowledge, it starts everyone off in round 1 or 2 and it drastically reduces the likelihood of back-to-back fights in the group stages for multi-robot teams (which happened to me about 4 times in Midsomer). If people approve, I can try to write the process into some text instructions.
Tolerable Music & Robotics

Fleas: Beethoven (AWS62 3rd place!)
Ants: Killbo Stabbins, Komi Can't Self-Right, Step Up
Beetles: Step Up 3D
Retired robots: Griefcase, I Hope It Rains, Flesh Prison, RILF
JMD

Post by JMD »

Are they doing, Antweight World Series 63, 2022 Winter of Spring :?:
I am waiting a long time for this