BotFest 4 (25th April 2020)

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

T_Y

Re: BotFest 4 (25th April 2020)

Post by T_Y »

What time is the event planning on starting? I may not be able to make it, but I've signed up for it anyway. It's been too long since I've gone to an event!
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

It is scheduled to start from 11:00 till about 18:00
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Are there any COVID-specific rules in place still for this?
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

I am waiting for the announcment this evening to see what the intentions are. Once announced, I'll make a follow up announcement on the event, which will include what restrictions will be in place.
Team Kaizen

Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Following the announcement of intention from the UK government this evening, I am going to note the following:

- I am not going to impose a limit on people coming to this event however, for BotFest 4, I am not going to encourage spectators to come (in short, roboteers only). By the time of BotFest 5, I want that to change but we can only see what the situation is then.

- Face coverings (unless exempt) and hand santisation are still going to be required. As an event organiser, I do not feel comfortable in saying that this can be lifted at the moment given the situation in the UK.

- I may still need to take contact details at the event for the purposes of track and tracing. I'll be seeking clarity on that.

As a reminder, the event is being held on the 24th of July from 11:00 - 18:00 at the following address with the usual BotFest specific rules:

St. Lukes Church
Poulton
Wallasey
CH44 3BD

To allow as many people to come, I'll be doing the draw on the day.
Team Kaizen

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Thanks very much, that seems very sensible.
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Thanks for the update. It's looking less likely I'll be able to make it, but I'll definitely try to come to the next one!
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

With a little under 24 hours to go until the event (finally!), there are a few things I wanted to bring up before the event itself.

- Table space will be limited so please make room where you are able to.
- Share out any extension cords/battery bags to other roboteers as needed.
- You are welcome to film the event from outside the arena. We'll have at least one camera set up inside the arena and uploading to the BotFest YouTube channel.
- Masks (unless exempt) and hand sanisitier use are mandatory in the Church itself.

For those that have not been to the event before, the address is:

St. Lukes Church
Poulton
Wallasey
CH44 3BD

The event will start from 11:00 and finish (I anticipate) by 17:00. We do, however, need to be packed up and out by 18:00 at the absolute latest. Tech check will open after the opening briefing. If you are not familiar with BotFest's specific rules, here is a reminder of them:

2.a: All weight limits have a 5% variance as below. Robots that exceed the AWS weight limit but are within the BotFest limit will have a note applied to the technical check sheet but pass in this instance.
Antweight: 157.5g (Roller) / 236.25g (Walker)
Fleaweight: 78.75g (Roller) / 118.65g (Walker)
Nanoweight: 26.25g (Roller) / 39.9g (Walker)

2.b: All size limits have a 5% variance, so the dimension cubed that your robot must into is below. Robots that exceed the AWS weight limit but are within the BotFest limit will have a note applied to the technical check sheet but pass in this instance.
Antweight: 106.68mm
Fleaweight: 80.01mm
Nanoweight: 63mm

4.a: All heat matches will last 2 minutes. All other matches (except the All Robot Rumble and Side events) will last 3 minutes. The All Robot Rumble will last until one robot remains mobile. Side event runtime are determined on the day.

5.k A team is permitted to enter up to 3 robots of either a roller or walker.

Static displays

If you are planning to bring robots for display, please ensure they are on cradles and sharp edges are covered. As always, there'll be a dedicated space for the displays.

Event format

Given the number of potential entries, I am looking to split the robots up into 8 seperate heats rather than the usual 4 and then have everyone fight everyone in 1v1s (like Rampage @ Chatham if you were there) with the top robot of that heat going through to the quarter-finals. Point scoring will be as previous BotFest events.

We will also have seperate awards for the Most Original robot, Best Looking robot and a dual award for Most Impressive fight. These will be community awards so roboteers will be asked to put their vote in for these categories before the end of the event.

Hope to see you all there!
Team Kaizen

Sevahri

Post by Sevahri »

Lovely, excited!

Just wondering if you have a picture of the arena you could upload, changes from last time were something we discussed. :)
Team AZUR
AWS 59 Champion
AWS 60 Runner Up
BotFest 3 Runner Up
-
AWS 60,59,57,55 Gladiator Winner
-
AW's:
For Fox Sake
Psychopathy
Ahri
Redrose & Bluebell
Plastic Memories
Zero Fox Given
E
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Thank you for arranging this event, great fun and a great atmosphere. I'll be doing my full event autopsy once the video is up I think, but the surprise win for When Unicorns Go Rogue was a nice highlight!