BotFest 4 (25th April 2020)

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Tufty

Re: BotFest 4 (25th April 2020)

Post by Tufty »

Thanks, must be my laptop because it wouldn't show on either forum but my phone does it fine! Looks like a fun draw :D
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54081131? ... KGDxJEzjBA

its not looking like we will be allowed to do anything nice for a while :(
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

I am waiting to see the official update from the Government on this and the actual law bill being passed before making a call on this. As a "organised team sport", it is a grey area at the moment.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
tomboys

Post by tomboys »

I would honestly say that although it could be argued that its a sport, I don't think there's really an argument that it's a team sport as it's normally 1 v 1. My Badminton club is also still waiting for clarification on what team is though, but at least we're 2 v 2.
Tom Boys (Team Tomb)
Up the Antie - Flipper
Push Comes to Shove - Shovebot
Vertigo - Vertical spinner
Bar Bar Black Sheep - Bristlebot (planned)
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

At the AW level, I agree it is normally 1v1 but as a general thing, fighting robotics is a team sport. The terminology used throughout (certainly for BotFest and AntLog) is that robots are assigned to teams and that team may consist of one or more persons.

I'll be posting later on tonight.
Team Kaizen

GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Looks like we're out of luck.

The official rules state the only way "Team sports" are allowed are if the sport's national governing body have submitted an action plan to the government, and that action plan has been approved by the government.

The details are on here.....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -framework

On the plus side we've all got plenty of time to refine our robots.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

So the recent law change has pretty much made running BotFest 4 impossible to do in its current form. The exemption around team sports only applies if the governing body has submitted a plan to the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (the DCMS) and it is subsequently listed on the page regarding team sports frameworks (ref: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -framework):
Once DCMS has given this confirmation, the national governing body will be linked at the bottom of this page. Until the national governing body is linked on GOV.UK, the team sport should not restart.
The FRA isn't listed there so it would be illegal for the event to continue as planned as is my understanding. I did briefly consider splitting the event into its group stages but there would still be the situation where there would be more than 6 people present in a certain group and there is also the extended timeline to consider, not to mention the cost of event insurance which I've had to swallow due to the change. Therefore, it is with regret that I am have to pull the plug on the event again. All of the form data will be wiped as per GDPR.

Honestly, I am gutted and sorry this has happened again. I know this event was being looked forwards to and I was really looking forwards to it myself.
Team Kaizen

MarkR

Post by MarkR »

That sucks, now it is impossible to have events in England or Scotland, up to 30 people are still allowed in Wales?
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Outdoors you can have up to 30 in Wales but 6 indoors I think. I did consider taking the event into Wales and rent somewhere outdoors but I don't know anywhere and rather not risk the weather.
Team Kaizen

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Best bet would be to contact universities, but you're right about the weather. It's been hot recently but I guarantee it would turn on the day.
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue