University of Greenwich - Medway, 28/29 March

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Garfie489

University of Greenwich - Medway, 28/29 March

Post by Garfie489 »

Heya,

So one of the societies at my University wants to run a robotics event with a few things going on. Thus as a main event there will be Beetleweights having a competition for the Beetle Belt, and the University plans to put on a student sumo competition on the side etc.

If your interested in the Beetle side, then theres more information on the FRA forum link below.

https://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/thread ... n-ups-open

Reason i thought to contact here however is that given we have the space for two days - would anyone like to hold an Antweight competition during the event? I probably wont have the time to do it myself, but if theres anyone with some experience who would appreciate the free space and facilities then your all welcome to come along and compete alongside the main event. Can be for one day or both, im more just offering up the location to anyone who may be interested in doing something with antweights around the time.

Sorry this is somewhat of a loose end, but if the community would like to come along and have a relaxed event then im sure i can try and make space for it to run inside the University. Currently plan to at least have a non spinner arena set up for people to play with, but could either upgrade that or if someone wants to use a competition arena then im totally fine whichever works for everyone.
MichaelG92

Re: University of Greenwich - Medway, 28/29 March

Post by MichaelG92 »

I'd certainly be interested in attending an antweight competition, Medway isn't stupidly far away from where I live. Certainly won't have time to get a beetleweight built in time.
Michael - Team MG Robotics

Fledgling Surrey based roboteering team

Antweights:

MicroNewton - flipper
ArmamAnt! - pusher
GFB - flipper (under construction)
Fight or Flight - flipper (under construction)
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

If someone does manage to organize an antweight arena for this event then Anthony & I would definitely be up for it. We're based in Tunbridge Wells so it's about as convenient a location as we're ever likely to get.

Although I do eventually mean to build a couple of Beetleweights (maybe a scaled-up version of 'Recycler' for him and a suitably daft flail-bot for me), I'm not sure I've got the skills just yet. Mind you, it is three months away...
Stuart (Tony's dad)
Garfie489

Post by Garfie489 »

Will certainly have an antweight arena there for people to play with - got a picture of it below.

https://www.facebook.com/AblazeCombatRo ... =3&theater

Only issue is its currently non spinner - though may upgrade in the future. Thus if anyone wants to bring along a spinner arena and organise something formal, thats why i offered up the space :)

Also with regards to Beetleweights, they are actually quite newcomer friendly - theres a facebook group for builders where you can get loads of advice below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Beetleweight/
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Couldn't help myself. Ordered some 25mm 12v motors this morning...
I feel making a beetle might be at the top of New Year Resolutions.
:roll:
Stuart (Tony's dad)