AWS 60 - Headington, Oxford - 30th Nov 2019

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

limpet

Re: AWS 60 - Headington, Oxford - 30th Nov 2019

Post by limpet »

Fantastic day, well organised and some great fights.
I forgot to donate is there a paypal link?
–-----------------------------

For AntFreeze
https://www.facebook.com/AntFreeze/

For my robots etc.
https://www.facebook.com/13Robotics
Ants, Fleas, Beetles, Feathers & Heavies
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

there were 2 donation boxes... i was unsure if this was for 2 things like eo donation and venue donation so i just stuck half in each
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I made a donations box and the voting box, not knowing Sarah had the bucket :P. It all went to the same place (Science Oxford) anyway :).

Thank you all SO MUCH for coming to the event, thank you in particular to everyone that did judging, commentary people wrangling or contributed to the running of the event in other ways (big shout out to Hannah, Matt and James for doing various admin work and for helping clean afterwards).

I was disappointed that we didn’t get the full 128 but the circumstances were realised a bit too late and it was decided unfair to include robots that happens to be bought along when so many had left theirs out due to the rule change. Hopefully next time we can allow for this/make arrangements.

Massive well done to everyone who took home a trophy (thanks again to Harry and Gus for those) and to Andy Hibbard in particular for winning his 14th AWS title, beating our previous winner to do so :).

We hope to host another event at some point, we’ll let you know when. See you all next time! :)
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

Thanks for the shout out Dave, appreciate it.

One thought I've just had (a little late, but could be handy for future) if we were to do a draw then playoffs for the final 8 spaces, would it really matter about putting limitations on initial sign ups? I.E. Still let people sign up 3 rollers + 1 walker/cluster, then only guarantee 1 roller a spot per team + walker/cluster? I know that will still take longer to tech check, but if we get multiple people tech checking we could mitigate this?
Isioviel

Post by Isioviel »

I want to say a massive thank you to everyone who helped out in any capacity on Saturday! Particularly Hannah, Matt, James & Peter for your help throughout the day, we'd have still been there at midnight without you!

I'm so happy that everything ran smoothly, and that you all liked the venue :). Come back some time when we're open to the public to play with the exhibits in the centre!

Well done to all the winners, and to everyone who brought a working bot to the event! It was great to see so many people there, and such a variety of robots :)

Thanks for the donations to running costs and to Science Oxford! If you didn't donate on the day, and would like to, I will get a PayPal link posted here asap.

See you all at the next one!
Sarah
jray

Post by jray »

Me and my son Thomas had a brilliant time on the weekend! Thanks again to all involved in the running of the day.

This might just be me being a bit dim but is there somewhere that has the results for the day?
I would be interested to see how Thomas did at his 1st event. He was knocked out after pinning RBMK agents the wall then accidentally made his way into the pit at the other end of the arena.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

the results will be up on antlog in the next few days... wait until the database is no longer locked, click on either the event to see standings, or simmiliarly you can find your username and find a specific robot from your team and it will show who you faced and the result.

its still not currently ready yet i figure within the next day or 2
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
jray

Post by jray »

Top stuff!
I will just have to be patient!!!
Thanks
AndrewC

Post by AndrewC »

jray wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:09 pm Me and my son Thomas had a brilliant time on the weekend! Thanks again to all involved in the running of the day.

This might just be me being a bit dim but is there somewhere that has the results for the day?
I would be interested to see how Thomas did at his 1st event. He was knocked out after pinning RBMK agents the wall then accidentally made his way into the pit at the other end of the arena.
He got really unlucky. He just got distracted for a couple of seconds when one of the judges was talking to him. Otherwise probably would have been a well deserved win.
Team Biscuit

Junk In The Trunk (Wedge)
Kaizo (Dual Servo Flipper)
You Only Wedge Twice (Wedge Cluster)
Underbite (Grabber)
Predator (Origami Pusher)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I take partial responsibility for that. I was going to start the count when the other judge looked like he was trying to ask me something, and I too became distracted. It wasn't fair, and at the time I felt as though calling for a restart (As RBMK HAD managed to bounce itself free from the wall and so wasn't immobilised and (Was it One Smart Fellow?) had driven into the pit utterly unprovoked whilst distracted by the JUDGES being confused... Which isn't fair. So I apologise.
Last edited by LimaHotel on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!