AWS 60 - Headington, Oxford - 30th Nov 2019

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

jray

Re: AWS 60 - Headington, Oxford - 30th Nov 2019

Post by jray »

Not to worry and no hard feelings!!!
Thomas had a really good day and if anything it was a good learning experience to pay attention! :)
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Possibly dumb question but please make allowances 'cos I'm not a Twitch user... Is it possible to watch the 'live' stream of the event retrospectively or does that technology only support the viewing of live broadcasts? Longing to re-live the (very brief) moments of glory and catch up on all the bits I missed while in the other room.
Stuart (Tony's dad)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I think Twitch won't replay it, but whoever has the footage, will make an edited video eventually, this usually happens a few days or week after the event, I noticed there were at least two cameras at the event, presumably including the one streaming.

I think often Harry does it.

Please bear in mind that editing 6+ hours of footage does take quite a long time, and it is a busy time of year for everyone. I suppose it will be ready when it's ready.

Personally, I'd like to see a lot of fights again, especially

Cosmic Burgervan vs Combatant

Although it was short, it was violent!
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Not sure about the twitch, but Harry filmed it, and has said the video will be up on YouTube tomorrow evening. Search for "Team Panoramic" on youtube.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Awesome. Already subscribe to Team Panoramic's channel on YouTube (see - I'm not a total dinosaur ;) ) so I'll keep an eye out.

As always, enormously grateful to Harry for his hard work with the videos!
Stuart (Tony's dad)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

MarkR that's the fight I want to see as well to try and figure out how I lost. :roll:
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Because the rules as I understand them are that if a robot is in the pit, it's eliminated, whereas if a robot is immobile, it needs to be counted out. As over haf of Cosmic Burgervan was still in the arena, the clear common sense winner (you) lost on a Pit technicality. We've had it a few times (though never quite so dramatically) where a spinner has been the clear winner and the other guy is totally immobile and broken, but somehow still wins because the spinner lands in the pit. I agree that Cosmic Burgervan being half in the pit as well is something of a grey area, but I didn't really see how this fight ended any differently to that one that TTRE lost at AWS58 where the other guy was totally immobile.

Part of me wants to ask for a rule change (For example, for a robot to "win" by ring out it needs to demonstrate controlled movement after the opponent has landed in the pit), though another part of me just thinks "That's the risk you take by running a Spinner".

If I'm totally wrong here, then I apologise.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

It was a bit weird, I understand the technicality, I initially assumed that it would be considered for the "simultaneous knock-out" rule, so the judges could call for a reset, and only one robot being able to work, it would win by default.

However, the judges who were present decided otherwise, and it is their job to do that. I wasn't judging that fight. I suppose it doesn't really happen very often like that (or perhaps, ever before?).
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Yes I thought it should have been a reset. The problem was they decided that because part of Bergavan was still in the arena it was not in the pit but the rules clearly say a robot is in the pit as soon as any part of it touches the pit floor so with half of the robot in the pit and in contact with the floor it was in the pit. I know we can't change the result but it is much easier to discuss these rule interpretations on here than in the middle of a competition when time is pressing. As it stands you could argue that even a small bit of a robot knocked of and going in the pit means that robot is out so we do need to clarify it somehow.
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

I didn't agree with the decision either. Personally I felt on the day that the fight should have gone to the judges as a double KO, with them making a decision based upon the fight up until that point, not factoring in the technicality. However 5i) does say that 2 bots leave the arena simultaneously then the fight should be restarted (even specifically mentioning robots hitting each other & flying apart as an example).

I also think Peter is right about clarifying what proportion of a bot needs to be in the pit to count as an immobilization. I don't think this could be determined by weight, as a bot could hypothetically have a 100g shell, lose it & still function as a baseplate on wheels. I think the best way would be to choose an essential component (eg. battery) & say that once that is out of the arena then that bot is out.