AWS 60 - Headington, Oxford - 30th Nov 2019

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

AWS 60 - Headington, Oxford - 30th Nov 2019

Post by razerdave »

Hi all!

So, myself and Sarah Townson (Tic-Toc, Eyesaurasaurus) are hoping to finish the year with a bang, hosting AWS60, our community’s 20 year anniversary, in Headington, Oxford!

Venue: Science Oxford Centre, Stansfeld Park, Quarry Road, Oxford, OX3 8SB

http://antlog.garya.org.uk/entrant?eventId=23

Sign ups will close on midnight on Tuesday 26th, because we fully expect this to be at the limit and we have contingencies in place for this.

Venue and tech checks will be open from 8-10, competition will start shortly afterwards.

Due to us being under the insurance of the centre and also under their GDPR rules, we ask that you sign this form to say Sarah can take pictures to use for promotion of the science centre, and also gives us a list of every person in the building in case of evacuation:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

We will also be opening up a special vote for “Contribution to Antweights” - special certificates to recognise those that have helped promote the Antweight class over the last 20 years or have contributed to the cause of antweights in other ways.
Please make your vote here:
https://forms.gle/92Yabx1cfuu2K9rZ7

Sarah has suggested a donation of £5 per team that enters, but this is voluntary. It’s just to help with costs of running the event.

If all goes to plan, this event will also be streamed via Twitch :). Commentators welcome!

Any more information, ask here or drop me a message!
Last edited by razerdave on Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
samSpinCrazy

Re: AWS 60 - Headington, Oxford - 30th Nov 2019

Post by samSpinCrazy »

Will there be a limit on how many bots you can enter or is it the same so 3 rollers and 1 cluster/walker?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

The entry limit is not set, however we are expecting a full event. As such, enter 4 but one will be put aside in case gaps need to be filled; we want everyone that has signed up to enter, so the people with 4 entries will be asked to sacrifice on as we did at AWS 58.

In the spirit of diversity, we would ask that your “sacrificial” robot be one of your rollers as opposed to your required 4th entrant (a Walker or a cluster).
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

after aws58, i decided to run a permanent 3 bot lineup. seeing as between myself, my son and the mrs, with 4 bots each would be 12 bots entered... us all having 3 instead allows for another team of 3 without the overall number changing...

unfortunately, i dropped my cluster so my 3 bots are all rollers
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

Have already signed up, am looking forward to it!!

Out of curiosity, how will the "Contribution to Antweights" vote work? Will it be a ballot on the day, an online form or something else entirely?
Isioviel

Post by Isioviel »

Important Venue Information

AWS 60 will take place at the Science Oxford Centre and is supported by my employer, Science Oxford, part of a charity called The Oxford Trust, which encourages the pursuit of science and enterprise through education, enterprise and engagement.

All donations collected at the event will go to the charity, to cover the costs of this event, and to enable us to continue to run activities promoting science and technology to people throughout Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire.

I am really proud of the work my colleagues and I do at Science Oxford and would be happy to give you more details about our programmes!

Address
Science Oxford Centre,
Stansfeld Park,
Quarry Road,
Oxford,
OX3 8SB

How to find us
• If travelling by car, turn up the private road towards Stansfeld Park, from Quarry Road. At the top of the road there is a barrier to the car park, which will be open for this event.
• The venue is not in the centre of Oxford, so if you are travelling by train, you will need to get a bus or a taxi from the station.
• Bus 4(A/B/C) will get you closest (5-10 minute walk) and runs every 15-20 minutes on a Saturday.
• There are other bus options if you don't mind a longer walk.
• Another option is the Pick Me Up ride-share service (https://pickmeup.oxfordbus.co.uk/), which will bring you right up to the site.

Food & drink
• There will be a tuck shop with an honesty box, for hot & cold drinks and snacks.
• The nearest shops are a 10-15 minute walk away, at Wood Farm, including a small Co-op and a pharmacy.
• Headington shops are about a 20-minute walk away, and give you a larger choice including pubs and restaurants.

Fire regulations & GDPR
• I need a list of everyone in the building for fire regulations, and to know whether or not I can take pictures of you for GDPR reasons!
• Please fill out the Google form here: https://forms.gle/9fjy2Q3eEFzXdnJx7
• If you turn up without filling in the form, it will slow us down on the morning of the event as this list is a requirement of us using the venue. So please make sure to do so before the closing date for sign-ups!

Accessibility & inclusion
• The venue is fully wheelchair accessible.
• All toilets are individual gender-neutral cubicles, with a separate accessible toilet.
• There is a separate baby change room.
• If you have any additional requirements that may affect your attendance or enjoyment of the event, please get in touch and I will do my best to meet them.

Safety & behaviour
• Safety rules will be announced at the beginning of the event, and attendees are expected to respect them.
• All attendees are required to act in accordance with our Code of Conduct, which can be found here: https://isioviel.github.io/AWS
• All young people ages 16 or younger must be accompanied by an adult.
• First aid kits can be found in all rooms being used for the event, in addition to the venue's first aid room.
• I (Sarah) will be the trained first aider on site.

Any questions, please get in touch! Looking forward to seeing everyone there :D
-Sarah
Last edited by Isioviel on Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

oooh, finally, one that's a little closer to home!

gonna try my hardest to make this one with a drivable version of solderburn, pretty excited.
entries look like they're going very fast, although i might have to pull out if sausage hits the fan.
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

James:
Working on the form now, should be a case of an open ballot, although I have suggestions for a few people who should get them.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

hey Dave, i filled out 1 form for myself, my son and my mrs, is this ok or would you prefer a separate one for each?
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Isioviel

Post by Isioviel »

Kyro wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:09 pm hey Dave, i filled out 1 form for myself, my son and my mrs, is this ok or would you prefer a separate one for each?
I'm sorting the form (it's for my work).

I need to keep an eye on numbers, so ideally each person needs their own form / own entry on the form (if you tick yes to extra people, it lets you put in more names), as it cuts down on my admin (plus will make it quicker to check in on the day) - sorry if it wasn't clear!

Don't worry about how you've done it, it's clear there are three people, but for future people reading this... please enter each attendee separately :)

FYI this isn't saving emails or tracking your data!