AWS 60 - Headington, Oxford - 30th Nov 2019

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Ant

Re: AWS 60 - Headington, Oxford - 30th Nov 2019

Post by Ant »

I bot removed.
Thanks for organising the event!
Wigs

Post by Wigs »

Hi,

One bot removed also.

Leaves us with 2 Rollers entered.

Cheers
Adam

Team Optimism
Not the face
Armoured "thing"
Hopper
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Dropped us down to
  • 2 rollers for Team Antiquarian (spares me the bother of repairing some minor damage from Basingstoke)
  • 2 rollers plus 1 cluster for Anthony's Ant Army.
Can't wait to see how quickly I can bounce 'Try-again, flail-again' into the pit this time...
Stuart (Tony's dad)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Welp, I guess Pushbot is sitting this one out. It's up to Jiggy and Jammin'. Jiggy has never done worse than 2-2 and went 4-2 last event, so the pressure is on for my theoretically least competitive bot to defend it's crown as my most successful, and Jammin', my theoretical most competitive bot, has never done better that a 1-2, so it's up to Jammin' to redeem itself!

My brother still hasn't signed up, but will likely only be bringing Fling Mustachio. Is there still time for him to sign up, or has he missed his window of opportunity due to crazy numbers?
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Looking at the wonderful array of robots signed up, I'd like to suggest to the EO, that there should be an award for best robot name, perhaps done by popular vote?

Should be "best robot name" award, to quality the robots need to actually turn up and compete.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I am particularly pleased to see the return of

WedgeWedgeWedge
Anticide
Diotant

and any rubber ducks which are signed up!
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

Lima, if your brother's coming along he may as well sign up. At this point we have 150 bots with 21 still needing to be removed, putting us at 129 (just 1 over the limit!) so signing up won't matter as we're still over anyway. Factoring in no showers on the day however I imagine we might be OK.

Mark, I'd love a best name award, although even if they don't do something official on the day I suppose we could have a straw poll on here. I'm also glad to see Diotant, Wedge Wedge Wedge & especially Anticide back. I would love a chance to fight it, even if I lose quickly.
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

Solderburn v2 just officially completed the first drive test, which means my dad agrees to train tickets, so I'm going to be able to make it! Will fill out relevant forms soon :)
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)
Isioviel

Post by Isioviel »

Hi everyone,

So numbers for this event are looking pretty crazy! Which means we need to limit numbers even further than planned.

To make it fair to everyone, this is our current plan:
- We'll tech check up to three robots per team (two rollers, one walker/cluster).
- One roller automatically in the tournament.
- Walkers/clusters automatically in the tournament.
- Second rollers go into a raffle for the final places.

-We'll draw from the raffle until we reach 120* robots.
-If your robot isn't drawn, we'll do some melees to work out who gets the final 8* places.
*we might change these numbers slightly on the day based on final numbers to make the melees make sense, but will explain the plan before we start!

This way, everyone who passes tech check gets at least one robot in the competition, and everyone whose second robot doesn't get in, gets one fight!

As well as the main tournament we'll also be holding:
- fleaweight melee at the start of the day
- gladiator rumble
- glow in the dark rumble - the room can get properly dark, so add unnecessary LEDs and glow in the dark parts! I'll bring emergency stickers :)

Final point about numbers... there will be a lot of us, so pits will get crowded - so come prepared to share table space / not spread out too much & generally be good neighbours to your surrounding teams :)

Sarah
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

Looks like it'll be a busy day, I'm assuming the raffle will apply to teams with 2 rollers & no cluster/walker as well?

PS Am definitely looking forward to that glow in the dark rumble!! :D