BotFest 3 (14th September 2019)

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Ocracoke

BotFest 3 (14th September 2019)

Post by Ocracoke »

Hey Everyone!

It is time for our third BotFest event! This time, we are trying out a new venue, this being:

The Belvidere Centre
Belvidere Rd,
Wallasey
CH45 4RY

Date: 14th September 2019
Time: 10:00 - 17:00 (ish)

I believe this puts it exactly one week before AWS 59, so this might be a good event to iron out any issues or test your machines at before AWS. At BotFest 2, because of the way that the heats were drawn up, this meant every robot had the chance to fight at least 4 or 5 times (since every robot in the heat fights everyone else).

Like last time, we'll be running a set of 4 heats, quarter finals, semi finals and a grand final. We'll also be having a all robot rumble at the end and if folks want to organise a whiteboard or side-event in the intermission, please feel free to do so. The arena will be getting a new floor to replace the old floor that was in there so no more getting caught on the join.

As always, this is an Antweight event (I know there was mention of this being a Beetleweight event but I've not had the time to get an arena built) but if you wish to do a static display your heavier class robots, please feel free to bring them with cradles and sharps protection where needed. As before, we are running a slightly modified variant of the AWS ruleset (http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm), those being:

2.a: Weight limits have a 5% variance, so the maximum permitted weight for a Antweight roller is 157.5g and for a Antweight walker is 236.25g. Robots that exceed the AWS weight limit but are within the variance will have a note applied to the technical check sheet but pass in this instance.

2.b: Size limits have a 5% variance, so the maximum size for a particular dimension for a Antweight is 106.68mm. Robots that exceed the AWS size limit but are within variance will have a note applied to the technical check sheet but pass in this instance.

4.a: Heat matches will last 2 minutes. All other matches (except the All Robot Rumble and Side events) will last 3 minutes. The All Robot Rumble will last until one robot remains mobile. Side event runtime are determined on the day.

5.g A team is permitted to enter up to 3 robots of either a roller or walker.

Event signup is here: http://antlog.garya.org.uk/event/22

Hope to see you there!
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
Kyro

Re: BotFest 3 (14th September 2019)

Post by Kyro »

sadly too far for me (nearly 4 hours there) but i hooe you all have a good time
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

With just over 5 weeks until BotFest 3, a new arena floor has arrived and yes, it is a 810x810mm single piece of plywood which I'll get painted and detailed at some point next week. Next thing on the list is to see about sorting the roof which whilst it "works", I'd like it to be more to size than it is now.
Team Kaizen

voorsk

Post by voorsk »

I was so hoping I could make this event, as I can't make AWS 59 due to my son's birthday, but it looks like I'll have to ferry my wife to the opticians instead, as they have crap hours and don't open Sundays. I had nearly 3 bots ready, too! :(
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

This one's even relatively local to me now! *cries*
I honestly have zero time. I'm hoping I might be able to touch my TX again some time next year - Ant Freeze maybe? But the workload on this course is insane.
I'd be surprised if I can make anything this side of Christmas :(
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

I was so hoping I could make this event, as I can't make AWS 59 due to my son's birthday, but it looks like I'll have to ferry my wife to the opticians instead, as they have crap hours and don't open Sundays. I had nearly 3 bots ready, too! :(
Nooo! Sorry to hear we won't see you at this one, next one eh? ;)
This one's even relatively local to me now! *cries*
I honestly have zero time. I'm hoping I might be able to touch my TX again some time next year - Ant Freeze maybe? But the workload on this course is insane.
I'd be surprised if I can make anything this side of Christmas :(
Ah, a shame. If it helps, I was trying to work out when the next one might be and at the moment, I am thinking of the last Saturday in March. I'll try to work out the date at the event this Saturday.
Team Kaizen

Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Many thanks to everyone who came to BotFest 3! It is always great to see new and returning faces come to this tiny little event. We had 25 robots enter this time and a whole host of excellent fights. The grand final, particularly, was spectacular. We'll have the video of the event up soon.

For 2020, I am looking to have BotFest 4 at the end of March though not committing to anything concrete just yet, I am planning on making some changes to the event. Keep an eye out!
Team Kaizen

Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

And here is the video from the event. Again, many thanks to all that came, I'll see about announcing the date for BotFest 4 around the start of the new year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-gGY7AD6Cs
Team Kaizen