Antweight World Series 58 - 29th June 2019

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MarkR

Re: Antweight World Series 58 - 29th June 2019

Post by MarkR »

Massive thanks to Chris and all, it was amazing.

It was my first event bringing my daughter. I think she enjoyed it and I let her drive my new robot in the tournament.

Good to see so many creative robots, opponents of note:

* Mantis - it is even more impressive in the flesh than the videos I've seen.
* Unorthodox - I love it - I was knocked out of the competition to a worthy opponent.
* All of George's robots - which were gorgeous as ever

And everyone who brought children with them!
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

thanks...

its good hearing from people (especially the great builders) how impressed they were with my polycarb and green marker pen robot...

i have spent a lot of time getting mantis to where it is currently but there is still room for improvement... what im most glad about is mantis uses no acetate and I was able to get under bots that had acetate... most of the time...

appologies to Diotant for my showboating... i was planning on riling the crowd up by showboating every time i got someone in my grasp, but i guess the excitement of the day left it far back in my thoughts...

a huge thanks to everyone there on the day... it was epic... even with the fact that 2 of the bots i supplied need rebuilding (first time taking so much damage)

honestly i always thought id cry after seeing my bots get disintegrated, but in actual fact, it was hugely entertaining... not that id want to do it again if i could help it, but knowing how fun it is trying to drive a crumpled mess back towards the weapon that caused the damage in the hopes of... well im not sure exactly what i was trying to achieve but dammit i was going to do it or die trying... i just died trying... :)
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
FoxFire

Post by FoxFire »

First well done to Chris and co for organising this awesome event (only my second) and also to David for giving me the chance to be a judge and sit in the hot seat for a bit ^^. And a big well done to George too for getting his first AWS title - is this the first time we've had a walker win the tournament I wonder? Great to see innovation is rewarded.

I won four times which was one more than last year's AWS56. Polaris exceeded my expectations by surviving - and beating - two nasty spinners, particularly Chaotica, with minimal damage. The flipper duels with Harry and Team Oink were great fun as well, sadly my inability to self right was a let down. Next time I promise I will come with a more powerful flipper ;)

As for the other robots, Proxima Centauri was a vastly improved machine which was sadly not reflected in its fight record as I drove into the pit when I misjudged my attack after being on top for so long. My new boy Sprocket Raccoon was more successful, winning two fights (same as Polaris) and was popular with the kids :) sadly I didn't last long against George's Zero, which to his credit is a very effective rambot!

Like last time this this has been a great and fun learning experience as to where to go in my approach to robot combat. It's a shame we don't have any regular events in Scotland as I'd love to take part in more. I certainly fancy coming back to AWS for another next year :)
Mark Smith - Team Frey
Polaris (Front Hinge Flipper)
Proxima Centauri (Rambot)
Sprocket Raccoon (Lifter/Rambot)
Fighting Fox (Flipper)
Wigs

Post by Wigs »

Hi to you all,

Newbie here and busy building first Antweights. I see talk about an event in Basingstoke 2019 Oct/Nov. If so how do I enter it please.

Thanks looking forward to some combat!!
Adam

Team Optimism
Not the face
Armoured "thing"
Hopper
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Wigs If you go into antlog you can enter there. http://antlog.garya.org.uk/event/19
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

I might have missed something but... I'm seeing various mentions of 'Sheffield' and 'September' in relation to AWS 59 but can't find any details (and nothing on Antlog). If this is 'a thing' then it would help if someone could start a thread with whatever details are known at this stage.
Stuart (Tony's dad)
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

MySolderIsOlder wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:57 pm I might have missed something but... I'm seeing various mentions of 'Sheffield' and 'September' in relation to AWS 59 but can't find any details (and nothing on Antlog). If this is 'a thing' then it would help if someone could start a thread with whatever details are known at this stage.
They said at aws58 that a thread with all the details/signup will be up in the next couple of weeks. But I'm pretty sure they said it will be Sheffield Uni in Sept.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
Wigs

Post by Wigs »

Fantastic news thanks Peter,

I got database is locked but will try again later.

Can't wait to tell me son, he will love it :D
Adam

Team Optimism
Not the face
Armoured "thing"
Hopper
cmalton

Post by cmalton »

Database is locked is my fault - I unloaded the Antlog laptop along with the arena into storage without sending the results file off.

I'll next be there tomorrow evening and will grab it to send the results in then which will unlock the database.
Wigs

Post by Wigs »

Thanks Chris
Adam

Team Optimism
Not the face
Armoured "thing"
Hopper