AWS 45 - Coventry - 1st November 2014

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

daveimi

Re: AWS 45 - Coventry - 1st November 2014

Post by daveimi »

Would appreciate some help in putting the red 2 pin power plug into a fresh receiver so that I can learn which pins are live and ground etc. Am guessing that the servo pins have something like a live in the middle and 0V either side and which ever side it sees voltage on is how it knows which way to spin the servo. If I put a 3 pin plug in the wrong way it doesn't mind so much as it still sees voltage etc. down the centre pin, and it's only when I've stuffed the 2 pin the wrong way round that I've managed to get voltage down the wrong pin.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Ouch! Done that before on an Orange Rx but didn't have any effect whatsoever for me for some reason. I left it in for maybe 20 - 30 seconds before I noticed. I too was using a 2 pin connector then so there could still be hope for it. Have you tried re-binding with nothing else attached. That could possibly solve it as it has done for every single one of my issues in the past. This is why I use a receiver switch as I just know I'll put the connector in the wrong way if I don't! I really hope it's all OK and running on the day. :-)
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Normally I find that if you don't know the orientation of the pins and there isn't a sticker or other indicator, it's worth having a close look at the tracks on the actual PCB of the receiver. All ground pins will be connected in a row, signal pins won't be.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

It's hard having the two-pin adaptor on your battery as it does allow you to plug it into the reciever wrongly and possibly blow it. There should be a label on the reciever somewhere telling you which pin is the negative voltage pin. The three pins in the reciever are usually positive in the middle and then signal on one side and negative on the other, so plugging it in upside down can send a voltage through the signal pin which can blow it.
If you're at all unsure just wait til saturday morning.

EDIT - Actually Dave, just go to the first picture on the second page of your Skipdiving Robotics thread. There is a picture of your first try layout and you can see which way round the battery plugs in.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Attention

Can everyone please do their utmost to sign up by the end of today. Late entries will still be accepted, but it makes our lives a lot easier if you can get them done as soon as possible.

I've put a rough schedule in the first post. As always, this is very flexible and open to change depending on what happens on the day.

Stream will either be at twitch.tv/robotrevo or twitch.tv/epicentre7. I've been talking to Brad about using his RobotRevo channel (as it seems beneficial to me to have everything in one place) but have had no response to my most recent message to him, so I may have to have it on my personal stream instead. Will update when I know for sure.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

As bitternboy says looking at the receiver usually gives it away.
All receivers that use the standard 3 pin 0.1 pitch connectors are the same ie 0v-5v-sig.
As previously stated the signal row on the receiver are the ones not connected together and all cases I have examined are the ones furthest from the end of the board.
You already have lots of offers of help but I will bring any bits that might be useful and if all else fails I will try and bring a spare robot you can use.
Remote-Controlled Dave

OK, so Lincoln and John Denny both now have more robots signed up than the limit allows. Any confirmation on which ones are actually competing? Are the SmartAnts going to be 2 separate teams again?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

This is me Lincoln I can confirm that we woud like to be two teams made up of
Smart ant 1
Smarflea
SFBB
The smart flea's cluster

The second team is
Smart ant 2
Mean garden pot walker
Chocolate chip
and the made in a day SMART ANT 3!!!
limpet

Post by limpet »

Please forget the John Denny entries called K9, Ant Sweet Tooth & Biollante walker for now, also if that 13 Black nano is connected to me then ignore that as well.
John junior gets a bit carried away at times and builds stuff ready to take but doesn`t finish them off. We`ve got Ant Clank finished and should have the flea done tonight, with ratchet close behind. Anything after that is a bonus, depends how late I work each night.
–-----------------------------

For AntFreeze
https://www.facebook.com/AntFreeze/

For my robots etc.
https://www.facebook.com/13Robotics
Ants, Fleas, Beetles, Feathers & Heavies
Remote-Controlled Dave

OK, thanks guys!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39