AWS 45 - Coventry - 1st November 2014

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: AWS 45 - Coventry - 1st November 2014

Post by peterwaller »

I just found it after posting have sent reply.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hey guys

Thanks to Scott for organising the event, very well done with the stream and commentary and such, shame you couldn't stick around to see the end.
Cheers everyone (too many to mention) that stayed behind and helped me with the clearing up afterwards, much appreciated :)
Big shout out to Dave and Gemma for sorting out the draws, not a task I envy.

Well done to all the winners, especially to Dan for getting the fleaweight title with his first foray into the weight class. I'll get you next time :) Alex, you too :).

From my own POV, the event went well, getting 2 robots into the last 16, Baphomet performing well in only his second event and Baby Hell defying my expectations and making it that far, almost taking 2 of Andy's machines out in the process (Fandabidozy and Anticide, they were both close). I was disappointed with Stewie due to the power loss issue, which made me almost come a cropper against the mighty Lemmings, but I will endeavor to get the issue resolved for next time. Good and Evil which was rather hastily bound to another TX did not work well at all, but the plan is to keep them in fleaweights and build a custom clusterbot for next time.

I would also like to apologies for my little temper tantrum after the fleaweight final, I was very frustrated to have gotten that far with 2 lives intact only to be beaten (all be it by a far superior driver) twice in the final. Massive props to Dan though :)

I'll be back next time with some new and improved robots, Looking forward to the next one :)
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Thank you all for an outstanding event!

I just wish my robots were better!

Hoondal started driving itself and spinning around uncontrollably after use of the throttle channel for the flipper which was quite rubbish. Did anybody else have this problem?

I had a great time and a huge number of fights so I'm really happy about that. A few of my robots will need to be rebuilt but I might leave that until after the Antweight Open which I'm really looking forward to.

Well done to Alex for winning with Stanley (again) and especially Dan with Fleadom Fighter. That was so awesome!

Once again, thanks a lot for a great event and for supporting my Dad with his robots- he had such an excellent time.

See you all at the Antweight Open! :D
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

What controller are you using? I'm having this trouble but I don't know why exactly.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Using a cheap MLP4DSM and the new (only arrived last week) OrangeRx R615X DSMX receiver. It could possibly be caused by induced current or interference created by my Park HPX F or due to a component on the receiver causing issues. I also have one in the second part of the Antivation Cluster and that barely had any issues at all. I'm seriously confused! It could have been the wiring arrangement as all of the servo wires were packed in together and the servo wires just so happened to go past that HPX F to reach the drive servos. I shall explore this shortly in the new version of Hoondal being made for the Antweight Open. Really disappointed that it started playing up in that fight against the green flipper (4-LOM I think). Such a shame...
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

If the controller can't supply enough current to your receiver then firing the flipper can cause the receiver to power off momentarily (on mine, it's a loose contact between the RX and controller. What are you using as motor controllers ?
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

I'm using SG90s for drive. They are analogue servos so could possibly suffer from interference due to induced current on the signal wire. Will have to experiment though. Brought it home, fired it up and no issues like that in the slightest. Spooky! Does also tend to lose travel in flipper servo when the fault occurs resulting in it not self righting. I really need to sort out that robot!
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

AntRoboteer wrote:I'm using SG90s for drive. They are analogue servos so could possibly suffer from interference due to induced current on the signal wire. Will have to experiment though. Brought it home, fired it up and no issues like that in the slightest. Spooky! Does also tend to lose travel in flipper servo when the fault occurs resulting in it not self righting. I really need to sort out that robot!
That does sound exactly like the sort of problems you'd experience from either the battery voltage dipping when flipping (I doubt this though) or noise on the lines of the analogue servo (Much more likely). Unfortunately analogue servos are not very clever and just accept any old input to act on even if it is just a spike. The HPX is quite bad for noise. My immediate suggestion is shorten any wires you can, Try and separate the HPX line from the drive. It fixed it when I had a similar issue in my first ant (I'd flip and my drive would do it's own thing, 3 HPX's). If that still doesn't fix it a capacitor may not be amiss between +ve and +0V.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Perfect! Thanks, I am trying that today with my rebuild after its appalling performance. I will let you all know what happens!