Beetleweight Events

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Beetleweight Events

Post by razerdave »

Whilst we're on this subject; Haz and I would like to host an AWS, preferably the one after Will (AWS 44), and we would like to propose a beetleweight competition at said event. I don't know if Will fancies doing a beetle event as well, but Haz and I will if there are no objections from the Comitee,

Edit: This topic was split from the "AWS42 ?" thread as it had veered into Beetleweight event territory...
EpicentrE

Re: AWS 42 ?

Post by EpicentrE »

My main concern is time; we seem to have adopted the "warm-up or fleas" approach at most events now, due to time constraints - is that going to be extended to beetles as well? Or do you not think there will be enough of them to warrant this?

The other concern is space. You'll need enough room for yet another, even bigger arena. If you're running the event then it's obviously your choice, but I wouldn't expect it to catch on for other AWSs unless beetles become very popular amongst antweight builders.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

I have no objections to beetleweights in theory, more weight classes is a good thing. However as Scott mentioned its a matter of finding time for them amongst all the other events. With the fleas, non-spinners and annihilators at the end we are already pushed for time. I know the last AWS was an exception but generally speaking numbers have been on the rise and if this trend continues space is a real concern. If we can acquire a large enough venue we could possibly run several events concurrently in seperate arenas? However my only concern with this is that possibly people who have many different robots in several weight classes may have issues if they are needed in different places at once. I would personally (at an AWS) prioritise fleas over beetleweights because they do have their own separate event (BigConkers I believe?) and because, at least at the moment, there are more fleaweights attending the AWS than Beetleweights. Perhaps it could run alongside the annihilators at the end or during the lunch period?

Again all for the idea of beetles. Just a few issues to sort out. I also support the idea of Dave and Haz running an AWS, sounds like great fun :)
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I don't see how we would fit another competition in on an already packed AWS FWS event so I would not be in favour.
I don't see any problem in organising a Non AWS event with Ants Beetles and Fleas if you think it would be a way of getting the beetles started.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I think it would be ok with a few provisos. I think it should go after the FWS and the AWS so that if we run out of time, the beetles get bumped, instead of the main event being delayed. Also, I can't see entry numbers being particularly high as its a new weightclass. I'd be surprised if we had more than 8, which would be a very short competition.
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Just wondering what everyone's views would be on a 2 day event combining an AWS with beetles?

This could allow for a more relaxed competition as well as plenty of fun fights for everyone.

I could look at doing this for AWS 43 if there was enough interest.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
BeligerAnt

Re: Beetleweight Events

Post by BeligerAnt »

I have no problem with a 2-day event with the AWS on Saturday and Beetles/Feathers/whatever on the Sunday.

However, splitting the AWS over 2 days would be a very bad idea. It would decimate the field by dramatically increasing the cost of attendance. We already see that events in the Home Counties are better attended than events further afield. Many people are not willing/able to travel long distances to events. Any events that have required an overnight stay for most of the competitors have seen a low turnout (Ireland, Holland, Leeds).

I think Beetleweights need some assistance in getting off the ground, so I don't have a problem with a small competition running after the FWS/AWS. However, the FWS, warm-up and AWS should not be compromised in order to accommodate Beetles.
If Beetles really take off, they will have to have their own event, or team up with Feathers/Heavies. There really isn't enough time to add another significant competition to the AWS day.

Maybe a better solution is to just run BWS1 and invite Antweights along for a non-AWS event? This still likely to be fairly well attended, provide Beetles with a competition, and fulfil the objective of introducing Beetles to a number of Antweight builders.

Just my 2d.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Just to clarify my point of making it a 2 day event.

I would run the AWS on the Saturday and the beetles on Sunday with some whiteboard fights/ tag team annihilator etc for ants
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
haz

Post by haz »

Don't worry, the beetles will be standing alone before long... we weren't trying to add more to the already crowded AWS plate.
Personally, I would be more than happy to do two days.. maybe not a full second day though.
Bigconkers

Post by Bigconkers »

Can i please just say a little. I want to stress that AWS / FWS would very much so prioritise over the beetles. The last thing we want is for people to think we want to take over the world with beetleweights, this really is not the case. We are trying to fit some events in next year along side other events.... Deeside will be the first at the heavyweight UK Champs. The arena will stand in a corner out of the way for people who have beetles to play in when they please. Deeside is more a testing of the arena. Burgess hill i hope will be another event. If i can do a small competition there if there are enough machines thats good. Whitwick is another too. It does help the beetlweight class if roboteers could see them and what they are about and what they can do. The idea is to give a bit more scope to the builders with more chance to play and fight their machines. from ants there is feathers...but with 1 major event a year its a bit restricted. Haz has already said the beetleweight events will be stand alone very soon but to get the ball rolling taking the arena to other events is a great help. I must also stress i am not in it to make money and all investment in the class is from my own pocket. We just want to build these machines and fight em, make some good videos and have a lot of fun away from the crowds and stress. Suits me and i hope it suits you guys too. :)

Shane