AWS 37- Reading- 17th March 2012

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Pugster2002

Re: AWS 37- Reading- 17th March 2012

Post by Pugster2002 »

Pugster2002 wrote:I think I might have another ant done by ant weight world series :D
I have made one it's called B.B (it stands for battle bot) but it's a beetle weight
Pugster is 9 years old and is autistic,he can be blunt and sometimes seems rude,but he's just to the point!!!please try to be clear when talking to him.his obsession is robot wars and pugs!!thanks guys(pugsters mum!!)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

RCD: if it's on the throttle channel it will failsafe anyway. At Whitwick when we had cabrakan's lifter wired up, the servo was wired into the throttle channel and went fully to the end of its travel when we turned off the TX. All throttles have that as a preset failsafing point.
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Just a quick point to add to that- when you first bind the tx the throttle failsafe position is set to where the stick is positioned at the time- this means it is possible to failsafe with the spinner switched on.

If this happens switch the tx back on and the spinner should stop once it has reconnected. Then rebind the tx with the stick in the off position.

To test, spin the weapon and leave the stick in place, then turn off the tx, after a couple of seconds the weapon should stop spinning. if it doesn't follow the steps above.

Also if you are testing spinners at home please either put something between you and it or stand a good distance away from it- just common sense really but it does save your fingers!
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I agree with Will, put something between you and the robot and make sure it can't fall off something with the spinner at full speed. If you are standing close, shorts and no shoes and socks is not a good idea. Personal experience of a robot failsafeing to full speed is scary and painful.
TEAM GEEK!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I agree that we really need to check all spinners.
Use of a Spektrum transmitter does not guarantee use of a Spektrum receiver, and therefore there is no guarantee of any particular failsafe operation. Also, many brushless controllers default to going to half throttle when signal is lost. Handy to stop your model plane falling out of the sky, but less useful for a spinner :(

The spinner checks could be carried out in parallel with the other tech checks if more people can be "volunteered" to do the checking ;) This should speed up the overall checking process.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

That's fine, I can add a section to the tech check sheets about checking spinners. I, or someone else, can carry out the check whilst the rest of the sign up is happening, as soon as the arenas become available.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
malivoirec

Post by malivoirec »

Just entered mine. E.B.O.G of course, A newly rebuilt Inertiant, and a spinner that took 5 years to build.
Fortune cookie says: Pain is meerly a feeling;
unless its PERMANANT FOREVER.

Fortune cookie no.2 says: Take heed of
Last cookie
Remote-Controlled Dave

I'm not sure even name labels will help much if Inertia fights Inertiant...lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Pugster2002

Post by Pugster2002 »

I have signed up my new flea weight flea rage :D
Pugster is 9 years old and is autistic,he can be blunt and sometimes seems rude,but he's just to the point!!!please try to be clear when talking to him.his obsession is robot wars and pugs!!thanks guys(pugsters mum!!)
Remote-Controlled Dave

So far, I count 66 ants, 1 "possible" ant, and 14 fleas on my sign up sheet, and I can still think of some people who haven't signed up yet (Jim! :D ) so it looks like we're going to increase on the last events total yet again!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39