Antweight World Series 62 - Midsomer Norton - November 20th 2021

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

TeamPanoramic

Antweight World Series 62 - Midsomer Norton - November 20th 2021

Post by TeamPanoramic »

I am pleased to announce that the first AWS since March 2020 will be happening this November on Saturday 20th! Team Panoramic will be hosting the 62nd event at the Somer Centre on Gullock Tyning road of Midsomer Norton in Somerset (BA3 2UH). The venue will be open at 8am for setup and will have the venue until 6pm, we aim to start tech checks at 10am and the main tournament at 11am. A timetable will be updated.

https://www.rampagebots.co.uk/member/events/signup

PLEASE NOTE that sign ups will close on Thursday 18th November at 10pm.

Due to several complications, the format involving group battles of 4 will not happen. I do however have an alternative solution to help the event run smoothly.

COVID-19:
With this still being a big issue in the world at the moment, I am taking precautions to keep everyone safe. Currently masks & social distancing are not mandatory unless venue requirements change, however they are both a choice. Anyone who wants to wear a mask or has any needs to wear one is more than welcome. We should have hand sanitising points at the event for people to use throughout the event.

I am however requiring one of two things at the event…

Full Vaccination - If you are fully vaccinated, you MUST show proof of your vaccination upon arriving at the venue. This can be either with your vaccination card (assigned during first dose and later updated during receiving your second dose) or COVID passports via the NHS app (not the test & trace one).

Negative test - If you will not be fully vaccinated before the event, you MUST show proof of a negative test with in 24hrs of doors opening to attendants, so no later than 9am please. This can either Lateral Flow or PCR, but you must report your test via the COVID-19 test reporting website and bring your text message or email to the event.
To report your test, see the website:
https://www.gov.uk/report-covid19-result

If it feels necessary, you are welcome to do & provide proof of both.

Now with that out of the way, let’s get to the bit I’m sure a lot of you are curious about.

THE FORMAT:
I will be trying something different for this event. The number of entries for this event will be split into six groups each of which will have their own tournament for the main event. The finalists from each group will go through to the final round of 6. The double elimination will remain for both groups and the final of 6.

Potentially the main event could see a limit of 2 rollers & 1 walker/cluster per team depending on numbers, but the plan is to have a "Third Roller Rumble" before the main event. The winner of this rumble with qualify for the main AWS competition.

OFF THE SHELF:
Initially there was a proposal to enforce a ban on robots made from off the shelf item, for example like RC cars with bits of armour fixed on. This later saw some controversy with some saying it was potentially unfair on beginners.

Due to the controversy surround this rule and although we encourage beginners to have a go at building, this rule will NOT be enforced at this event. As long as it weighs 150g or less, it will be fine for the competition.

That’s all for now, I will keep you all updated for sign ups & further announcements. Any further questions, feel free to far away.
Last edited by TeamPanoramic on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkR

Re: Antweight World Series 62 - Midsomer Norton - November 20th 2021

Post by MarkR »

Hi, good news!

1. What is the maximum number of robots per team? I think we can expect this event to be "fully stacked".
2. Is there a maximum number of teams (pit space, time, etc?)
3. What is the sign up process / system?

I suggest that maybe keep some slots open for newcomers (What is the definition of a newcomer? Some competitors have returned to Antweight class after 10years break?), I suspect there are a lot of new builders and many old builders also itching to return.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

On the subject of allowing modified toys etc I assume they still have to fit the cube as well as meet the weight limit.
haz

Post by haz »

I also assume toys will have to comply to the easily accessible switch ruling as well.

this is tentatively the weekend I am moving and I'll only be 40m away from the venue. Even if I can't commit to the competition I may stick my head in to say hello - provided I'd be okay to do this. I'm double jabbed and mask up everywhere out of habit by now.
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

peterwaller wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:40 pm On the subject of allowing modified toys etc I assume they still have to fit the cube as well as meet the weight limit.
If not that's a bit of an unfair advantage (although maybe a hollow one, given the sheer lack of strength/power)
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Midsomer [Ant] Murders! :o

Covid plans sound eminently sensible. Just to clarify, does the -ve test requirement include young children as well?
Stuart (Tony's dad)
TeamPanoramic

Post by TeamPanoramic »

MarkR wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:58 am Hi, good news!

1. What is the maximum number of robots per team? I think we can expect this event to be "fully stacked".
2. Is there a maximum number of teams (pit space, time, etc?)
3. What is the sign up process / system?

I suggest that maybe keep some slots open for newcomers (What is the definition of a newcomer? Some competitors have returned to Antweight class after 10years break?), I suspect there are a lot of new builders and many old builders also itching to return.
1. We are hoping to keep the limit to 3 rollers & 1 walker or cluster per team as in previous Antweight World Series events with the new format we have planned.
2. We do not have a maximum number of teams, the venue is pretty big and prepared for a potentially huge turn out.
3.The system for sign ups will be something called Rampage, more details can be found here: https://www.rampagebots.co.uk/member
TeamPanoramic

Post by TeamPanoramic »

peterwaller wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:40 pm On the subject of allowing modified toys etc I assume they still have to fit the cube as well as meet the weight limit.
Yes, the size & weight rules will apply to off the shelf builds.
TeamPanoramic

Post by TeamPanoramic »

MySolderIsOlder wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:16 am Midsomer [Ant] Murders! :o

Covid plans sound eminently sensible. Just to clarify, does the -ve test requirement include young children as well?
That is something that needs to be looked into. I should have an answer within the next couple of weeks.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

For anyone as unobservant as me the link for the signup is a couple of posts above and is open.