New Featherweights

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I've got a 12v hand drill and taken it apart; the motor looks fab. Only problem is that it takes a while to come to a stop; I can just picture me driving against a robot that steps to one side leaving me rolling helplessly into the pit, unable to stop. Is there any way to stop this although it is only a minor problem. Anyway, So far it looks like this:

Reciever: Giantcod reciver
SC: 10A sabertooth
Armour: PVC or HDPE as thick as I can find
Apart from this, it is as before.

I 'm also going to rig up a simple series of wires connected to the to the claw, causing the side panels to extend (a strimech). I still don't know how to hook it all upelectronically so that the claw gets 15v so help would be nice...
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

The usual way of stopping your robot doing that is to reverse the robot before it gets to the pit :P

I thought you were going for a 25A Sabertooth though? You're liable to blow a 10A Sabertooth up with two drills...
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I mentioned earlier that that I'd probably use a 25A but then changed my mind when I saw the price tag. I decided to use a 10A unless anyone could tell me otherwise. Well then I guess I'd better use a 25A, can anyone tell me of one that's less than ?100 and if possible have a third output for the weapon motor?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

bitternboy wrote:I've got a 12v hand drill and taken it apart; the motor looks fab. Only problem is that it takes a while to come to a stop; I can just picture me driving against a robot that steps to one side leaving me rolling helplessly into the pit, unable to stop.
There is a option on the speed controller where you can choose either a linear or exponential response on the drive.
Example exponential; Slow at start, gets faster with time.
Linear; Full speed ahead.

I have experinced some exponential slowdown with the switch turned to it, so I would guess linear gives you sort of a harsh break.

And besides, driving takes time, so eventually you learn to stay out of the pit, regardless what setting.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

That's cool, so all I need now is a brushed motor controller for the weapon motor and the know how of wiring the thing. I'm using the giantcod receiver as I've said and want the weapon motor to run from the batteries not the 5V from the receiver. How do I do this.
Jonathan Atkinson
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

Most speed controllers have a full voltage input and the servo lead seperate. All you do is hook up the battery to the speed controller (screw block/solder) and plug the servo lead into the reciever.

Exactly where and how this is done depends on the exact one used but should be a similar principle.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I know, what I meant was that I was wondering whether if I plugged the weapon motor with brushed controller into the receiver it would get the full 15V from the battery which is connected to the dual motor speed controller or the 5V the receiver runs on.
Last edited by bitternboy on Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Atkinson
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

It should do if hooked up properly.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Thanks, I can now begin purchasing stuff.
Jonathan Atkinson
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Oh and one more thing...
The speed controller for the weapon motor.

I think getting it from Mtronics is a good idea...
http://www.mtroniks.net/products.asp/su ... ollers.htm

I'm not quite sure which one is suitible for my use. Any thoughts?
Jonathan Atkinson