L.W.S Robotics build diarys

Something to tickle your fancy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Gizz

Re: L.W.S Robotics build diarys

Post by Gizz »

Wire them up to run from 1 battery in my opinion, it will often weigh less than several batteries (and battery holders.
It's also easier only having to charge 1 battery pack.
Some people use bolts bolted into lets say a piece of thick HDPE and use ring type cable clamps to get all the common
leads onto one bolt securing it with a nut or lock nut.
Team DD
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

ok, i'll get my dt teacher to help with that
anttazz

Post by anttazz »

If your trying to do it slightly cheaper than having 4 speed controllers you could almost definitely get away with just 2 electronize 30a's for 4 motors and save yourself 100 quid.

I assume you'll be running drill motors as most people do, especially on their first project?

Also, you might have more FW guys reply to your comments if you post questions on fightingrobots.co.uk rather than here, but there'll be plenty of help on here too no doubt :)
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

anttazz wrote:If your trying to do it slightly cheaper than having 4 speed controllers you could almost definitely get away with just 2 electronize 30a's for 4 motors and save yourself 100 quid.

I assume you'll be running drill motors as most people do, especially on their first project?

Also, you might have more FW guys reply to your comments if you post questions on fightingrobots.co.uk rather than here, but there'll be plenty of help on here too no doubt :)
how would I wire both motors up to one speed controller ?
would I just join the two wires up into one and attach it like that ?
and yeah i'm going to use drill motos
anttazz

Post by anttazz »

Yup :D .
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

ok thanks :D
it will probably take me a while to build though because i'll only be able to work on it for 3 hours a week because i need to use my schools dt workshop to do the wiring and I need to find someone that can do welding to build the chassis and shell
anttazz

Post by anttazz »

I use plastic for the chassis which can be cut with hand tools. My FW robots are pretty much all plastic.

As for the wiring, when I wired up my first bot I used the guide from the Battle Ratz to do it, its fairly straight forward really it can just look a bit daunting when you have a load of bits lying in front of you.
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

i'll just use thick plastic then and as for the wiring i'll get my dt teacher to help because he's built a few heavyweights for robot wars ( that werent too good but they drove which is good enough for me :lol: )
haz

Post by haz »

HDPE is pretty good stuff, about 10mm ish thick will be fine, i use 12mm however
tweedermeister

Post by tweedermeister »

also, how would I attach wheels to the drill motors or will I have to make my own ?.
and how would I attach the plastic together, bend one solid piece, with bolts or should I melt it together with a soldering iron because I dont know how to do plastic welding ?