Re: fleas

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Looking forward to fighting that one!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

As I mentioned in my post on the Antweight thread, I am in the process of reviving my current team with shapeways, and this included a fleaweight I have long been planning.

So here is Salt in his current state

Hes running off one of Peter's fantastic speedo/rx boards, but to make it fit we had to take off the casing, clip off the connectors and solder most of the wires directly to the board. The two lipo cells fit in on top of it to power him, and his drive is 4 antweight size gearmotors. As you can see fitting the cells in is a very tight squeeze. No idea how we are getting the battery connector in, a smaller plug is most likely needed.

He is 13mm thick!

haz

Post by haz »

£5 on that winning the next FWS
Incredible you've got a great antweight drive into 75g. Well done, I hope you do well with it.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

You must have a very small shoe horn to have got that lot in there. :roll:
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Rather than have a battery connector, do you have space for a pair of pins (like on a receiver) ? You can hardwire the battery in and use a pin jumper to turn it on and a socket on your charger that fits to charge it.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Its awesome! I wonder how spinner proof it is though. And have you factored wheels into the weight? Lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

Update!

We got the battery plug working, and there is still enough weight for the wheels and a bit of carbon fibre armor!

Here is what we did with the plug. Pretty simple in essence, but difficult due to size and space constraints! It was a simple matter of connecting the two cells into a battery, then we took some crimp pins from an old plug, soldered and heatshrunk them onto the wires, and then used a motor wire with two pins to replace the speedo input. Luckily we just fit it inside, and he is all working. Now we just need to wait for the wheels to arrive and get some armor on him and he is ready for fighting!
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

I love to see people pushing the boundaries of what can be fit into the size and weight limits - great job!
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Nice work mate :).
And here's me trying to keep normal 2WD fleas in the weight limit!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Yes I agree even when I have put tracks on a flea I have always only used 2 motors.
Hope you can get the wheels and armour in the weight limit I would like to see that in combat. (not necessarily against me :roll: )