Flea won't self-right

All things small and scratchy.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Anty-social

Flea won't self-right

Post by Anty-social »

I have recently created a fleaweight flipper. Its main purpose is to be part of an antweight cluster and I don't think it fits in the fleaweight cube anyway, but i would still rather not go above 75g. It already weighs 74g so no excessively heavy solutions please!

I have had to move the hinge forward to get the flipper to work properly, and this is probably why it won't self-right. Has anyone got any ideas to help it self-right?

In a fight, the battery would be in the position shown, but taped down.

Thanks
Anty-social

Re: Flea won't self-right

Post by Anty-social »

The photos I attached didn't show. Can anyone help with this?
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

for photo's i find it easiest to use an image hosting site (i use gyazo) then post the link. if you use the bbcode for images [ img]your image link here.jpg[/ img] but without the spaces between the brackets, and ensure your image link has an image extension at the end (example .jpg .img ect) then you will beat the max file size limits of the forum and you images will show in the thread
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Anty-social

Post by Anty-social »

Thanks for the help

Here are the images
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

The obvious solution would be chemical welding or otherwise sticking a small polycarb fin to the top of the flipper. Far enough back that it won't interfere with the flip, but also such that your robot still naturally balances upside Down
Otherwise... How much kick do you get from your servo? I don't suppose the bounce is enough for the wheels to momentarily touch the ground? You may be able to get the self right in by reversing in tandem with the flip if so.
Also could you not give the servo a longer linkage to the flipper? If you cut away some of your base plate, you could still get your flipper flush to the ground by adjusting the servo end points to sit slightly below the floor, and fill flip might then give you enough movement on the arm to self right.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

also, will your servo not rotate any further than it shows? it looks to be a fair bit less than 90°

if your transmitter has the option, look for a setting called end points...

most decent transmitters will allow you to go above 100 (mine goes to 120) which gives me more reach on my servo's

another option i can see would be extending your servo horn and linkage a bit more...

it looks as though your wheels are close to the ground when trying to self right, usually reversing will help pull you right side up if you can get your wheels to touch the ground...

as Lima mentioned, you could also add a horn that would give extra height on your flipper, this would also help with stopping opponent's potentially driving up and over your wedge...

if you try all the solutions myself and Lima have mentioned, there is a very good chance you will be able to self right...

good luck
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Anty-social

Post by Anty-social »

Thank you for your responses

I haven't been able to try them today as I have not had a lot of time, and when I tried to modify the robot I broke a part of the hinge. It's now fixed and I should be able to try to fix the self-righting it tomorrow.

Because of how it is built (not that well!) its wheels will struggle to touch the ground in any position other than the right way up, so the wheels will provide little to no assistance in self-righting.

I found the setting on my transmitter to change the end points and the servo goes to about 90°. I think this is a limitation of the servo, not the transmitter. I don't think this is enough for self-righting, but it might be after adding the horn on top, and it will probably improve the (not very good) flip.