Aldi 3D printer - Any good

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Mcmad

Aldi 3D printer - Any good

Post by Mcmad »

Aldi are selling one for £300, the website is as usual a little short on specs but a look on the manufacturer website suggests it prints between 100 and 400 microns

Any thoughts as to its suitability for ant and feather bodys and parts from those more knowledgeable?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/3d-printer
Shakey

Re: Aldi 3D printer - Any good

Post by Shakey »

Seems a standard i3 clone kinda deal, could be atrocious, could be good out the box or with a bit of tweaking. Best to try and find some reviews around the place as I am not familiar with it myself. The resolution is as a whole vaguely meaningless when comparing printers. Provided it can do at least ~150 it's fine for what we want in ants, I do 200 myself for speeeeeed.

However feather bodys is well beyond the reach of consumer 3d printing right now. :P
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

yea it looks super similar to my i3 clone seen here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wanhao-i3Plus- ... B01LX8KNV3 thats about the same pricing too (when i got it it was 299 so u could probably find a different seller for a bit cheaper)and mine works very well for ant parts even if a good print is a bit of a learning curve its relatively easy to get the hang of and it comes with its own slicer that seems solid, so if the aldi one is similar it seems like a pretty good product but obviously theres no way of knowing whether it will deliver similar results to the good i3 clones or the bad ones but i think it looks most similar to my one which gives me hope for its credentials.
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Mcmad

Post by Mcmad »

Well I've taken the plunge and ordered one of the Aldi printers. Will report on how I get on as things progress. Ordered some batteries and filament from Hobbyking so just need Rory's ESC to be available and that's the first anyweight built.