Receivers

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Andrew_Hibberd

Receivers

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Found two suppliers of really cheap RXs

Hobbyking, really cheap. These require shorting two pins together to bind. Big solder pads so easy to solder.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-r6 ... opter.html

A little smaller and a little bit more cost, very small solder pads, automatically goes into bind mode about 1min after being turned on.
https://www.banggood.com/DasMikro-DSM2- ... mds=search
TEAM GEEK!
peterwaller

Re: Receivers

Post by peterwaller »

The orange one from hobby king looks to be the most useful.
Being both DSM2 and DSMX compatible, tiny, able to run directly on 2 cell lipo and having a combined 6 channel output makes it very usable as an an add on board for a controller with just three connections. (the combined output doubles as the bind connection)
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

I made a pico dual ESC earlier in the year that fits onto one of those orange RX. Worked great, just never got round to making more than one of them. Was aiming to have it as a DSMX replacement for the NanoTwo, but couldn't work out a user friendly and easily manufactured way to initiate the bind. If they had a timed bind setup like the detangs it would be perfect!
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I got my receivers and they look good.
What I had't realized was that it is now not legal to import DSM2 transmitters into Europe.
Existing DSM2 transmitters can still be operated legally you just can't import new ones.
Perhaps that's why Devo 7E has to be bought as non DSM2 compatible and then the firmware updated to make it DSM2 and I see the Orange transmitters from Hobby King are unavailable at the moment.
So we do need a DSMX solution for people starting up in this hobby.
I have modified the layout of my latest controller board to take the new Orange receiver to do some testing but I am not looking to start making them for sale again.
One problem I only have one DSMX transmitter which is also DSM2 compatible so I won't know which mode it is working in so I will need to get my hands on a DSMX only Tx.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Huh.. Looks like I'm gonna have to start mass producing my Orange RX based Pico boards after all!
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Has anyone tried binding on of these to a DSMX transmitter.
I have just built my first controller with one and I am having problems with it.
It happily binds to DSM2 transmitters but when I try my only DSMX / DSM2 transmitter it doesn't seem to bind.
Twice it seem to bind but the light was not continuous it was flashing off for a vary brief period compared to it on period.
Now it refuses to bind at all with that transmitter but is still happy with the DSM2 only ones.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

I got mine to bind ok on both DSM2 and DSMX with a Devo 7E.

Just finished putting another DSMX Pico controller using one of the Orange RX. They work fine but the binding isn't particularly user friendly as you have to poke a wire through a hole in the heatshrink, so I'm not sure they'll see production for a while..

NanoTwo for scale:

Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Yes I have it binding OK on the DSMX now it seems to be more sensitive to range for the binding process.
But I still get the orange light is not continuous for the DSMX but has a slight flicker to it.
tomchaps

Post by tomchaps »

Sorry for reopening this old thread, but since I've been switching back from building tiny quadcopters back to robots, I realize that I'm not sure how you'd use a PPM receiver with a brushless motor weapon. For my robots, I've always just used a nice fat PWM receiver with pins for each channel.

How do you guys wire up your weapons to the DSM2/X PPM receivers?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The ppm output is basically the same type of output but all the channels come out sequentially on one pin.
Each channel has a short fixed low period followed by a variable high period and the total of the low + high varies from 1.1 ms to 1.9 ms, depending on the stick position, just like the normal PWM receiver.
In the case of the tiny orange receiver it has both the PPM output and all the individual PWM outputs just like a normal receiver.
On the new controller I take the PPM output for the motor drive but still use the throttle PWM output for the servo or brushless controllers on the weapon.
You can see in the picture the pins are
Across the top
Rudder, Grd, Elevator, Aileron, Throttle.
Down the left
Gear, PPM, Auxilary, Vcc