3D printers

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

3D printers

Post by peterwaller »

While not in the same class as the powder based machines this looks quite good for the money £1999.
You need to see the final product really close up to see what the finished surface is like.
http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog ... cts_id=644
Last edited by peterwaller on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny

Re: 3D printers

Post by Jonny »

there are much better 3d printers you can get than that thing for cheaper, try looking at the rapman and reprap printers
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

What makes you say the REPRAP is better I haven't compared the detailed specs but to me it looks very heathrobinson and I would think a nightmare to set up and maintain with all those clamping positions and crossbracings.
With everything open and exposed like that I must admit I had already dismissed that one but if you know of a good reason it is better I might relook at it.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

You'd need to do a lot of printing to justify that price tag. I've had 6 chassis, loads of wheels and some motor mounts for under 200 euros.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Justify ????? :roll:
If I had to justify my purchases I wouldn't have two lathes, two mills, two bandsaws, pillar drill, circular saw, eleven 2.4Ghz transmitters and twentytwo 2.4 Ghz receivers not counting the ones in robots.
Ok so I do get carried away sometimes but it is my only real vice as I don't smoke and rarely drink. :wink:
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

peterwaller wrote:Justify ????? :roll:
If I had to justify my purchases I wouldn't have two lathes, two mills, two bandsaws, pillar drill, circular saw, eleven 2.4Ghz transmitters and twentytwo 2.4 Ghz receivers not counting the ones in robots.
Ok so I do get carried away sometimes but it is my only real vice as I don't smoke and rarely drink. :wink:

2 lathes and 2 mills :o why do you need 2?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Thats the point I can't justify it only explain it.
I bought a lathe and then later a manual mill some years back.
Then I was looking at converting the mill to CNC but one already converted came up on ebay so I bought that but still use the old manual one for some drilling operations.
The Lathe was getting a bit long in the tooth and needed to be a bit more powerful so I found a slightly bigger one which I bought before Christmas to avoid the VAT increase.
I am looking to add digital positional displays to the new one so I haven't yet started using it and as the company that sold me the lathe was looking into a possible upgrade kit I have been half waiting to see what they come up with.
The real problem is I am good at buying things but hate to part with anything.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

ahh i see
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics