Rule 2j - name labels (and typographical error with rule 5e)

A discussion forum for proposed changes to the AWS rules (2014)

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Forum rules
* Only one rule per thread. Any deviation will be moved by the moderators.
* Keep the discussions on-topic, relevant and polite. Anything else WILL be removed by the moderators.
* If you start a new thread (to discuss a different rule) quote the existing rule in the first post so everyone knows what you're talking about.
* The existing rules (version 4.2) can be found here: http://robotwars101.org/ants/rules.htm
BeligerAnt

Re: Rule 2j - name labels (and typographical error with rule

Post by BeligerAnt »

I'm with Peter on this one.

I dispute Joey's assertion that a quick look at each robot during tech checks is enough for an event organiser to commit 90+ robots to memory!
Also I think "clearly labelled" is self-explanatory enough without us going overboard and specifying contrast, text size, language etc.
I don't have a problem with a robot with a Japanese name being labelled in Japanese, although if we get too many we may have to call on Oliver's linguistic skills :)
Braille does not count as "clear labelling" since it is impossible to read at a distance. Severely visually impaired roboteers for whom Braille is the normal method of reading/writing would of course be welcome to use it ! :D
Labelling a robot (only) on the underside is similarly unclear.
As Peter says, there is often limited pit space for robots let alone elaborate labels. This seems like a flawed plan as robots will inevitibly end up on the wrong piece of paper or not labelled at all. I would far rather we enforced rules regarding robots than labelling in the pits.
There are still plenty of polycarbonate boxes, which have been joined by a bunch of black HDPE boxes over the years. Now there is a new wave of white Shapeways boxes. Without some names it's very difficult to tell which is which.

I don't really understand the objection to putting a name on a robot. If aesthetics are important, work the name into the design. If not, just write the name on or stick a paper label on. It's not really difficult compared to building a robot in the first place!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Think about it Joey if you put a name on it people are less likely to think you named it after a well known catalogue store. :roll:
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hahaha, Mr Waller be trolling :)

I'm not bothered if it's in the rules or not, all of mine will have a name anyway. It does help with identifying though.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

We might have to agree to disagree Gary, I don't understand the reasons for the rule in the first place :) I hadn't considered the point about the increased number of robots, I'll freely admit that, although I still think 'clear labelling' being defined as 'read from a distance' is problematic. This is why these consultations are good though, we can keep revisiting the need for the rule in future (and in the meantime I can continue researching different world alphabets!).

Peter: Little known fact; Arcus has existed for thousands of years, and Argos was actually named after it to appease it and prevent it biting customers' ankles, not the other way around.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

the thing is, how far is that distace? im short sighted and from a distance, i may have trouble reading the names, as the nax size for text would be 10x10 cm. and on most robots, it would be a lot smaller
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Who cares?! :D
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

Dave26 wrote:Who cares?! :D
all the people falling from the sky
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Joey has objected to this rule pretty much every month since he started, claiming it has no purpose or validity. Every time, certain people suggest that for them it does have purpose and validity. Therefore the rule stays. That's the end of it. I personally don't find it so hard to identify every robot, but some people do, and the name rule seems to help them. The rule states that "ants should be CLEARLY labelled", therefore all this braille/Japanese/whatever nonsense is also rejected. Objecting to a rule that takes no effort to follow, doesn't effect a robot's performance in any way, shape or form and helps some people keep track of proceedings is just silly. You may as well object to robots that are painted yellow or robots with googly eyes :roll:
No offense meant to Joey obviously, but I think you should just let this one go bud.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

One case where it would have been very useful is on your chicken robot.
Had it been labelled as a cluster I may have realised it was before the start of the battle and rethought my tactics and gone for the small walking part first.
Then if my robot flew out of the arena with yours on impact or as happend broke yours but was jammed up by your tyre I could have won the fight. :roll:
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

As a new antweighter There's probably a very good reason against it but why don't we stick a label on the fighters own side of the arena that's labelled so the commentators and announcers can identify without having written on the robots
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P