Team Oh, It Broke Build Logs

Discuss your 1.4kg monsters here

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Tufty

Team Oh, It Broke Build Logs

Post by Tufty »

As mentioned in the "how big is your beetle" thread a few months ago, I'm dipping a toe in the beetle-infested waters soon. For now I'm going to try to build a simple invertible wedge out of a couple of RC cars and as much metal as I can get into the weight limit. I'm fully aware I'm not going to win any competitions with them, but it would be nice to have something to sacrifice while I probe you all with inane questions while your machines' guts are exposed!
Debuting at AWS61 (hopefully): Teething Problems / Kitten's Torment / The Beatle... Waits (Fleaweight, Antweight clusterbot)

Tufty

Re: Team Oh, It Broke Build Logs

Post by Tufty »

Shattered a few drill bits, but I've got side armour build now. Need to get the ramps built so I can fit it all together, but a little research into the type of armour I need has to be done first.
Debuting at AWS61 (hopefully): Teething Problems / Kitten's Torment / The Beatle... Waits (Fleaweight, Antweight clusterbot)

Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Shattered drilling what material? I find nice and slow with a bit of oil usually helps in metal. I've snapped drill bits in HDPE but that usually comes with any of the following: the result of a jaunty angle, bad holding of the drill or bending whilst drilling.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

It was purely my own impatience, and they were 1-2mm drill bits so not especially strong to start with. Only drilling aluminium, presumably with a bit too much force.

Tufty

Post by Tufty »

First major mistake, I ordered some brackets to bolt the various panels together. They arrived today. Where I was expecting reinforced L-brackets of about 3cm on each side, they're nearer 3 inches each side. One bracket weighs over 300 grams! Looks like I'll be building some shelves in the near future. Meanwhile a fresh batch of more appropriately sized brackets are on their way, and I've cut out the aluminium bodywork. Waiting on titanium now to reinforce the wedge.