Rule 3c: Arena drop-off rule

A discussion forum for proposed changes to the AWS rules

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Rule 3c: Arena drop-off rule

Post by BeligerAnt »

3c) At least half of the edge of the arena must be unwalled, to allow robots to drop directly into the ditch that surrounds the arena (a recommended height for arena walls is 50mm).
Craig_Anto3 wrote:Anyone like to try a 50% enclosed arena with low walls on the drop off which you can be flipped over, maybe only 25mm tall? I think it'll give us some much more interesting fights.
BeligerAnt wrote:No, I disagree. Even 25mm high walls would make for a lot of long and boring fights between pushers which would be almost impossible to satisfactorily judge. The 50% drop-off has been in the rules since the dawn of time and I think it is one of the "fundamental rules" of antweights. There is nothing to say that the 50% has to consist of two complete sides. However, a gap of less than about 150-200mm is very difficult to push an opponent through. Push-bots need to be able to win fights just like flippers and spinners; this is very important for encouraging beginners.
petec

Re: Rule 3c: Arena drop-off rule

Post by petec »

Having just re-read these, I'm confused. A 50% enclosure is what the rules allow anyway....my arena is 50% drop off. Have I missed something?
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
peterwaller

Re: Rule 3c: Arena drop-off rule

Post by peterwaller »

I think Craig was suggesting 50% fully walled and the other 50% dropoff sides to have low walls.
It would certainly help me to stop driving out.