New Rule: Robot leaves arena before contact made

A discussion forum for proposed changes to the AWS rules

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

New Rule: Robot leaves arena before contact made

Post by BeligerAnt »

Simon Windisch wrote:Add rule 4h to make it clear what the situation should be when one robot leaves the arena after the start of the battle but before the robots have contacted each other. We have traditionally asked the roboteer running the remaining robot if they are OK to restart, this should either be incorporated in the rules or perhaps the rule should make this action mandatory.
Joey wrote:It should probably be written into the rules that the remaining roboteer is the one who makes the decision about a rematch if asked for - where there's no substantial contact it differs between different people and even different events so this is the only fair way to do things. I trust everyone in the antweight community to be sporting where it would be right :) (as opposed to, say, when some idiot has set his controls up backwards and driving out of the arena is his own fault!)
Andrew_Hibberd wrote:Its a tough one, but I think the other roboteer should have the choice to allow the other robot to start again.
BeligerAnt wrote:On the basis that the hobby is about fighting robots, we should really aim to have a proper fight wherever possible. So I think the fight should be restarted if one robot goes out before the pair have made contact. It should definitely *not* be decided by one of the participants.
The only difficult situation I can foresee is if a ram-bot rushes an opponent who manages to dodge out of the way, allowing the aggressor to drive off. So maybe it should always be a judges' decision?
razerdave wrote:I would hope people are sportmen enough to let their opponent try again failing any contact, as has always been my policy, but if its got to be written, I would say 'In the event of a robot falling off the platform before any contact is made, the robot is replaced and the match will be restarted'
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
razerdave

Re: New Rule: Robot leaves arena before contact made

Post by razerdave »

I stand by my original statement. I find it a shame that it would have to be a written rule though.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

I think that Gary is spot on - new rule should state

"If a robot leaves the arena after the battle has started but before the the robots have made contact then the judges shall decide if the battle is to be restarted"
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I'm going to sort of change my view and agree with Gary there actually, although...this does return us to the issue of who the judges are ;P
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

No issue
5f) There shall be 3 neutral judges identified before each battle and all shall have an equal vote.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Let's keep this discussion to the issue of driving out of the arena before contact is made. (Please!)
If you want to discuss judging, start a new thread... :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
petec

Post by petec »

I think if someone drives off because they've charged at another robot and that one has got out of the way then that is a legit win for the driver smart enough to move out of the way. If they just drive backwards or the robot falls off then it just needs to be restarted - and I don't think that is decided by either driver...I would make it a clear rule that it will always be restarted but I"m happy with the judges agreeing it.
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I agree. I think the rule should be worded around "an offensive advance being made". i.e. ...
If the battle ends before any offensive advance has been made through a lack of control or otherwise, then the fight should be restarted with both robots in their original starting positions.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Firstly, what does should mean in terms of a rule?

Secondly, what's wrong with leaving it to the judges?
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

what's wrong with leaving it to the judges?
Fair enough, I think this would probably be the best option, it's most certainly better than the other roboteer making the desicion. In fact I think a lot of rules could be solved just by adding the common sense of some experienced roboteers (i.e the judges) in a situation, rather than trying to get the rules so precise that there is no need for common sense, which is impossible.
Last edited by bitternboy on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.